2000 m5od transmission won't go in second gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 m5od transmission won't go in second gear

Alright guys, I am new here so I need all the help I can get. I have been reading some of the forums and am impressed. Here is my problem. A few days ago my son was driving his 2000 F150 and the traany just locked up. He called and went to loo at it. If I put it in neutral and let out on the clutch it still tried to go like it was in gear. Finally got it in reverse, let out on the clutch and it felt like it wanted to go backwards and forward. Got it towed home and a mechanic told me to check the fluid and if it was low to add some 10w20 to it because it was slicker than the atf fluid. I cheked the fluid ant it was a touch low so I added a little 10w20. Cranked it up and let it run a little, had it in neutral and everything started working fine. Drove it around the yard and then it would not go into second gear. everything else is fine. read a little on the forum and decided that the shift fork had to be bent. Pulled the top off and it appears ok. Shifter works fine off the tranny. Looked in the tranny and saw what I believe are the brass blocker rings. All the rings are loose but the on next to second gear. It will not move from side to side like the others, so this has to be my problem. Now my question to all you guys, is there a trick to loosening it up or is it going to have to be replaced? If it has to be replaced will the tranny have to come out and go to the shop or is it a fix I can do myself? Sorry for the long post, but I really need to come out of this as cheap as possible. Thanks

Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have alittle experience with this, just replaced a m5od this week. Customer said he was having problem getting into 1st and reverse. There is a TSB for not being able to get the trans into reverse, it requires tearing down the trans and installing a new reverse gear cause the old one breaks. Nothing about 2nd gear problems, but if the reverse gear broke a tooth off, maybe it got lodged in the 2nd gears. Maybe? The only way to tell whats going on is to tear it down, not something i would want to do, if you take your time and you got a book with step by step instuctions, you could do it yourself, but for the hassle i would find a trans in a wrecking yard and replace the one you got. Sorry i couldn't be of more help

Quick Reply: 2000 m5od transmission won't go in second gear