Hard shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard shifting?

I've searched this site for 2 days and I can't quite find what I need. I have a 92 f150 4X4 with a 5.0 and Auto trans with a push button overdrive. From what I read on this site that means an E40D....Any way It has shifted hard since I picked it up, the check engine light was on and the guy I bought it from said it needed a TPS sensor, so I changed it and gave it a general tune up.....Plugs, air filter, oil change...When I started it up to drive it idled great and the CEL light was off and shifted great...I drove for 20 minutes it sputtered and the CEL light came on and shifted hard again...I took it to a garage for e-test and got it to pass but the mechanic said it has an error code 636. TOT sensor...my manual says this is a trans oil temp sensor but local ford dealer says my truck doesn't have one....can some one lend some info to help...thanx

Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Yes, the E4OD has a TOT sensor.

The 636 code indicates that the TOT is registering a reading out of self-test range.

That means that your transmission fluid is either too hot or toocold or that the computer is having a problem getting a good reading from the TOT sensor.

Next thing I'd do would be to check the actual transmission fluid temperature at the time the fault occurs. This will tell you if you have a tranny problem or a sensor/PCM problem.

Steve

Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx Steve appreciate the input.....Where is the sensor located and is it replaceable...I looked in my manual and can find nothing about it..The guy at the ford dealer said he couldn't find a sensor for my year of truck, he said he could find it for a 94...would the sensors be the same or does he just not know what he is talking about...once again thanx

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The sensor is inside the transmission.

You really do need to do some more detective work in order to have a high level of confidence in what the actual fault is, whether it be the sensor, the wiring, connectors, PCM, etc.

I can't advocate just throwing parts at it without doing any diagnostics.

A good transmission shop might be your best choice.

Steve

Quick Reply: Hard shifting?