Trans Model# RF-F4ZP-7006-AA - What trans is this??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Model# RF-F4ZP-7006-AA - What trans is this??

As the title states, need help determining what trans is in a 95 XLT that my dad is looking at buying. Trans currently has a bit rough 1-2 shift but overall works pretty well. We're trying to get an idea of replacement/repair costs before buying the truck.

302 5.0L V8 engine
2WD
Automatic w/overdrive

I've searched on the site and haven't had any luck. Also scoured the web, but no luck there either.

I'm assuming it's either an AOD-E or 4R70W, but I'm not sure.

Are these two seperate transmissions or are they essentially one in the same?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Suspended
That trans is a 4r70w.

The hard 1-2 shift can be fixed for ~50 bucks if you do the work yourself. It's not too hard either. Just messy

Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a part number; not a model number. Yes, they're virtually identical, but NOT interchangeable. The AODE was never offered in trucks.

In the lower R pane of that diagram, the 1-2 springs & piston are known to cause problems, but it's REALLY easy to change them all out. A good tech can have it in & out in an hour.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks to both of you for the help. I found some info on the web shortly after making the post, but this confirms what I was thinking.

Sounds like a pretty common problem and a somewhat easy fix.

Anyone have the PNs for these 1-2 springs and piston?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Suspended
just go into the ford dealer and tell them what year, engine and trans you have and they will find the number themselves. the parts run ~25 and that plus what ever fluid you buy and if you decide to buy a new filter. your dipstick will most likely say use regular mercon but you need to use mercon V. if it were me i would use the cheapest mercon V i can find and maybe a new filter depending on how many miles are on the truck.

how many miles are on the truck?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Stopper, it's sitting right at 100k at the moment. We haven't bought the truck yet, but have been trying to find out some info on the trans before we do.

The current owner claims to be meticulous about maintenance, but I'm sure it could use a new filter anyways.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Trans Model# RF-F4ZP-7006-AA - What trans is this??