My Tranny intermittantly slips... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Tranny intermittantly slips... Help?

I have an 05 F150 FX4 Supercrew automatic. I got it brand new with 36 miles on it. About a month after I brought it home, the gears between first and second would slip every so often. What I mean by that is that it would reach the point of first gear to where it wants to shift to second. Instead of doing it instantly, there's a period where it feels like the automatic clutch holds on for too long and the abruptly pops into second gear. It usually makes a loud thud and is very noticable.

I took it in under warranty and they had to replace the transmition. They said that the "overdrive band shreaded up in the transmission". I have no idea what that means, but I assumed the fixed the problem by replacing the transmission. It had about 2,000 miles on it at the time.

Everything was going fine for a few more months, but it suddenly started happening again. It was less frequent that the original problem, but it was the exact same issue nonetheless. I took it back in under warranty again and they told me "they could not reproduce the problem" so they wont even look into the issue...

It still keeps happening to this day and I make the serivce guys look into it every time I get my truck serviced. Everytime they tell me the exact same thing; they can't duplicate the problem. I have no idea what to do at this point. Part of my wants to ruin my tranny somehow so they have to replace it again before I go out of warranty, but another part of me is saying that the tranny might not be the only issue...

Anyone have or heard of this problem? Any solutions that come to mind? I'm very desperate at this point. I love my truck, but hate it's single quirk...

Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard are you driving when it slips? If anything ask a service guy to drive along with you, go onto a service road (speed limit around 50 but frequent stops.) If the stealership still won't help bring it to a mom/pop shop see what they say (may cost money but it would be worth it) then bring the exact problem up with the stealership. Has your tranny been leaking?
~Phil

Quick Reply: My Tranny intermittantly slips... Help?