New TC, would you ?Shudder

Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TC, would you ?Shudder

Hey all, ongoing battle as posted in the engine forum.I have a bunch of cooling system problems and am now pulling the engine to repair a core/freeze plug.
while its out i am contemplating putting a new converter, but not sure if its necasaary..i was getting that lock up shudder and was under the impresion that there might not of been mercronV in there from the previous owner..
i grabbed a case of valvoline V and a new filter in hopes thats all it needed..expensive stuff..!!!
but i have read a little here and there about torque converters being the culprit, but never really gathered if indeed they go bad, or is it just the fluid??

not even sure what a factory replacement costs, but i would hate to put the engine back in to only find out later i should have replaced the TC..
i am pretty certain i checked my codes and i have the 4r70w

thanks a bunch for any info on the matter.
Chris

Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
The first thing to check is the plugs and wires. The egr is known to cause problems like this as well. If it's beyond that I really don't suggest an oem converter. The clutch material they used was designed to be smooth applying not very strong. I like to replace those linings with a high carbon type lining which is just indestructible, but alittle more aggressive on application.
Alan

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
The first thing to check is the plugs and wires. The egr is known to cause problems like this as well. If it's beyond that I really don't suggest an oem converter. The clutch material they used was designed to be smooth applying not very strong. I like to replace those linings with a high carbon type lining which is just indestructible, but alittle more aggressive on application.
Alan
Hey Alan, thanks for the response..I am not 100% certain, but all other road conditions seemed fine, cruising , heavy throttle,it seemed to be isolated to lock up activity unless i am misunderstanding.under normal downshifts the engine delivered.
I am out of the loop on TC manf..i want something i dont have to worry about, and i dont want to get stuck with a lower stall speed, been down that road with other vehicles..the only tc guys i am familiar with is TCI
but again, not sure if it was proven a TC problem or just a fluid problem??

thanks
Chris

Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 PM
A light engine miss such as a wire going bad will only be noticeable when the converter is locked up because the hydraulics absorb it the rest of the time. If you have more than 80k on your wires replace them with OEM ford wires only. Aftermarket wires are nothing but trouble. If you have COP's you may have a bad one. I would get a couple and swap around. could be a burnt plug as well.
Alan

Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 AM
A light engine miss such as a wire going bad will only be noticeable when the converter is locked up because the hydraulics absorb it the rest of the time. If you have more than 80k on your wires replace them with OEM ford wires only. Aftermarket wires are nothing but trouble. If you have COP's you may have a bad one. I would get a couple and swap around. could be a burnt plug as well.
Alan
Hey Alan, thanks again for the reply...I see what you are saying, and i wish the vehicle was at a point where i could try a new set of wires and plugs, i do have the two coils mounted in front of engine . 4 cyl each
before i picked up vehicle previous owner told me had the wires and plugs changed, but they are motorcraft and maybe they are old 160K on the clock..
My biggest problem right now is the motor will be out, and its the time to change the converter if it needs it.
at this point i am thinking of replacing anyways simply becuase of the labor involved if it needs to be changed later..but i am basing the shudder problem on only a couple of posts i have read, most others pointed to missing engine or fluid.
decisions, decisions
thanks so much
Chris

Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM
The clutch peeling is very common, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
Alan

Old 03-14-2007, 01:01 PM
The clutch peeling is very common, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
Alan
well just got a price from the local dealer...$400.00
guess i will shop around online a bit first..autozone shows apx $180, but who knows what kinda qulaity that is???

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New TC, would you ?Shudder