02 F150 Tranny lines leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F150 Tranny lines leaking

Do not know much about this but was told by my dealership during my last repair visit that there are 2 tranny lines in front of my truck one on both sides of the truck that are leaking near the front of the truck underneath the motor. The service manager stated that they leak because of the crimps that Ford uses and it is a weak design, he also said that the only real fix to have both lines replaced unless I wanted to try using rubber hose and hose clamp that alot of guys with super-duties use where you cut out the leaking parts and bypass them with rubber hose and hose clamps, but that the hose/clamp idea may not work with the F-150 because the tranny lines are too small for the the hose clamp to get a good grip and will eventually leak themselves.

I don't feel like spending money to have the tranny lines replaced if they are a weak design to begin with and will leak again so I would rather do something more permanent since a revised version of the tranny lines is not available from Ford..are there any aftermarket lines available that don't use the weak crimp or has anyone tried the hose/clamp idea with success?

Thanks,

T

Vehicle is 02 F150 4x4 5.4

Last edited by tgenetzky; 03-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hose and clamp idea is the next best thing to getting aftermarket or revised hoses. Use a quality Neoprene Hose, not Rubber, as rubber will dry rot and swell. Use fuel injection hose clamps, Not the regular old worm gear clamps. Fairly easy fix, really.

-Jimi

Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
the rubber line will work fine. just make sure it say transmission cooler line right on the hose. 3/8 i believe. youll want at least 2 good hose clamps on each end. when you cut the bad part of the metal line take a file to smooth over so the rubber slides easily over it.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 03-13-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:52 PM
..are there any aftermarket lines available that don't use the weak crimp or has anyone tried the hose/clamp idea with success?

Thanks,

T

Vehicle is 02 F150 4x4 5.4[/QUOTE]

Replaced mine a month ago with the hose/clamp. Seems to be working fine.
Cpt.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:01 PM
the rubber hose and clamps work fine. in not even sure if you can buy factory replacements even from the dealer. as long as its tranny line and good clamps youll be fine. i had that setup for a year on my old dakota woth no leaks. if it makes you feel better just flare the end before you put the hose on.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Try Inlinetube.com A lot of hot rodders and restorers use them. They make stainless steel and regular steel replacement lines for brakes, fuel & transmissions. They will make any line, but if they haven't made one for your specific vehicle yet, they will need the old ones to get the masurements and bends factory correct. Their quality is excellent.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks all, forgot about this thread due to busy life, etc adn the truck has not been a priority-but thanks again for the info, going to go ahead and try the hose idea!!!

Quick Reply: 02 F150 Tranny lines leaking