Factory tech seperator plate install???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory tech seperator plate install???

I have been lurking around awhile and abused the search function, and have found alot of good information. I am interested in knowing how difficult it is to install the factory tech seperator plate in a 202 4r70w. I am an aircraft mechanic and can rebuild jet turbing engines, but I am a litte leary of my automatic transmission. I either have, or have access to any necessary tools. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at installing the plate to firm up my shifts for towing.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a fairly easy mod. I did mine this past fall for the same reason you're considering it.

TCCOA has some good tech articles on this trans. (Just keep in mind there are some differences between the truck and T-Bird versions.) I used it as reference to insure I got all the ***** back in the right holes, and just to get a good general idea of what goes on with the disassembly.

Suggestions/Things I Learned the Hard Way
1) Make sure you know where the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators are and don't mistakenly pull the OD solenoid apart. (It was a bonehead move, and a mistake I should not have made. I was not paying attention and was hurrying. Don't try it.)

2) Insure all the connectors on the plastic rail are re-connected before buttoning everything back up (or you will be taking the pan off again).

3) You might want to take advantage of having the pan off to install a drain plug.

4) Factory repair manuals ROCK! (But still don't keep you from making stupid mistakes if you try hard enough.)

Setup
I followed Dirtyd0g's recommendation for install (below), and the truck now shifts like Ford should have done it from the start.

The best setup I have found is to install the plate as normal, install the brown spring into the upper 1-2 accumulator and remove the spring from the 2-3 accumulator then install it into the lower of the 1-2 accumulator. I spoke with Gregg about it he was thinking about adding the spring because he doesn't like the idea of having to reuse it. I'm fine with reusing it. If you leave the lower spring out of the 1-2 it will shift hard.
Alan

I bought my kit straight from FactoryTech. $85 shipped, IIRC. If you'd like to send me your email address, and I can shoot you the install instructions to preview.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 02-28-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to do it. Everything I have read about it sounds like it is well worth the money and time. I sent you a pm with my email, it would be great if you could send the instructions. Thanks
Brian

Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM

No problem. (But no PM, either??)

Andy

Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I was unable to sent a PM because I am too new to the board. But thanks for the offer.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Well, just hit me up at alshemo (at) yahoo dot comm. (Messed it up a bit, but you get the idea).

Andy

Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
email me too please. thanks. i heard it would be a wise idea with my engine setup!

cseverens@verizon.net

Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Do it, you will be pleased. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I went for it and it was easy...Just take your time, and maybe take some digital pics as you go in case you need to look back for reference when you are putting it back together.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 PM

03expyeb: Will need to wait 'til I get back to the home PC, but will send it ASAP.

Andy

Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
03expyeb: Will need to wait 'til I get back to the home PC, but will send it ASAP.

Andy
no hurry. thanks.

-jon

Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Be prepared for harsh swifting if you pull out the accumulator springs, especially the 1-2. If I ever take it down again, I will probably reinstall 1-2. 2-3 OK without springs! And mine has L S/C installed.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by CobraKit
Be prepared for harsh swifting if you pull out the accumulator springs, especially the 1-2. If I ever take it down again, I will probably reinstall 1-2. 2-3 OK without springs! And mine has L S/C installed.

The 2-3 shift cannot be too hard, this trans just won't allow it. The 1-2 can That is why I suggest using the lower spring in the 1-2.
Alan

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
The 2-3 shift cannot be too hard, this trans just won't allow it. The 1-2 can That is why I suggest using the lower spring in the 1-2.
Alan
Agreed - the 2-3 shift in mine without the spring is just fine. Like it should have been from the factory to begin with IMHO.

Andy

Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Andy if its not to much of a hassle please send the install instructions to:
bagaman@grandecom.net. Sorry it took so long to get back, been working on the truck too much and not surfing the net enough.

thanks
Brian

Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dirtgood1
Andy if its not to much of a hassle please send the install instructions to:
bagaman@grandecom.net. Sorry it took so long to get back, been working on the truck too much and not surfing the net enough.

thanks
Brian
Instructions sent.

ALS

Quick Reply: Factory tech seperator plate install???