Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing

How can you tell if your truck is set up for towing, as in tranny, tranny cooler, right gears, right rear end???...my buddy is looking to buy a 05 FX4 and it does not have a tow package...is there a way to tell if you can just hook up and hitch and the truck already has a tranny cooler and the right gears and such , or if you would need to install them after the fact...do they all come ready for towing or are parts needed on top of the hitch???

Old 02-24-2007, 03:20 PM
you should be able to see the tranny cooler in front of the radiator. small radiator looking thing. if not, uhaul has some that i have never had any problems with. you could get it all there. (hitch and tranny cooler)

As far as gears, mine has 3.73 and i dont have any problems at all. I tow an 18' ski boat and some jet skis, as well as some stuff and random trailers for work.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:21 PM
i think all f 150s have a tranny cooler. but not a very big one, look inder the front bumper and you will see it one is the a/c and one is tranny cooler

Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 PM
is that tranny cooler good enough to use or when you have a tow package is it a bigger one...and do the gears matter when you are planning to tow??

Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
looking at that last reply it may be confusing....i meant to say that is the stock tranny coller, if all have a stock one, enough to tow with or are trucks equiped with a tow package equiped with a bigger tranny cooler??

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Adding an extra cooler is good, adding a temp gauge is even better.

What axle code on the door jam sticker does the truck have? What does he plan to tow?

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
at most probably just a coulple snowmobiles, maybe a boat if need be...whics code on the door sticker are you looking for, he wrote them all down, but which one would it be??

Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
axle

I was thinkin' ya were gonna be pullin' some monster RV or car hauler. Snowmobiles would be fine for a ranger.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM
you need to check the GVW rating on the Id sticker on the door. it will tell you exactly what you can pull with the truck. any truck is set up to pull a trailer of some sort . the GVW tells you how big of a trailer. if the truck is factory equipped with the trailer tow package it will be reflected in the GVW rating.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
what would we be looking for under that gwv rating....what would be the nubers or letters to reflect if it has a tow package or what it can tow...just a gross number and is that what it can pull as it is???

Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce R Leech
you need to check the GVW rating on the Id sticker on the door. it will tell you exactly what you can pull with the truck. any truck is set up to pull a trailer of some sort . the GVW tells you how big of a trailer. if the truck is factory equipped with the trailer tow package it will be reflected in the GVW rating.
You need to read that Safety Compliance Sticker a little closer, along with your owners manual www.motorcraftservice.com Click on Owner Guides under Non-Subscribtion Resources, and select vehicle.

That sticker only tells you the GVWR of that vehicle that sticker is mounted on. It also tells you the GAWR for the front and rear axles, tire size, tire pressure, vin number, other codes, etc.

On that sticker near the bottom it will say AXLE what two digits is right below that?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 PM
It'll tow.

If it's an F150 with a V8, it'll tow just fine as is...you'll just need a hitch (obviously) and trailer wiring. An extra tranny cooler, though it wouldn't hurt, wouldn't be necessary for snowmobiles or small boats. I doubt that a brake controller would be either, because I'm sure that those smaller trailers don't have brakes.

My company sells and installs towing packages...we put towing packages on cars that tow jet skis and small trailers, so an F150 will be fine, trust me.

Hitch, wiring, and get-r-done.

I'd suggest a hitch from Curt Manufacturing. Quality stuff with the best finish out there, IMO.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Depending on what kind of package you got...it either came with it or not. You can always upgrade but I know it was a requirement for mine to have a towing package. If you upgrade be sure to get a brake controller (again depending on the towing you do). A two horse trailer and changing area (Adams) needs a brake controller because it has electronic brakes. Anyway take a look at your package included in the dealer sticker (otherwise check out your manual).
~Phil

Quick Reply: Towing