"Tranny" problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tranny" problem fixed

Well, it turns out that my "transmission" shuddering and jerking problem wasn't a transmission problem at all. I kept wondering if it was a tune up problem because of the symptoms, ans sure enough it was. I changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, pcv valve and O2 sensors, and it now drives smooth as silk.
After I finished everything, I sat in the truck and prayed, started her up, and took off. Usually in overdrive, it would shudder and jerk going up the slightest grade, but I pulled every hill with ease all the way to town, about 20miles away.
Praise God, because it saved me some headache and a lot of money.
I recommend to everyone having those problems to do a tune up first. It may just fix it.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a 93 taurus i picked up for 500$. anyway tranny was shifting weird, lack of power etc.. i thought tranny was toast. i changed cap ,rotor plugs and wires and that woke her right up. she ran like new. 9 out 10 times its a small problem that has symptoms of something bigger. check basics first.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What year and motor? Mileage?

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Might have to try the tune up. I'm about due for one anyway. Thanks for the update

Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
What year and motor? Mileage?
Sorry about that. My truck is a 99 F150, 4.6L, auto transmission with 141,000 miles.
I forgot to add earlier that all of my old plugs were so worn that the gap was beyond measuring, and the side electrode was almost crumbling from being so thin. One of the plugs had a broken side electrode, and one wasn't even screwed in tight. I bought this truck used with about 130,000 miles on it. Would have done a tune up before now, but looked at the placement of the plugs and everything around them, and thought, no way. It was tough to get all the plugs done, and I had a lot of evil thoughts about Ford engineers.
But, as He showed me once again, "with God, all things are possible".

One thing I learned. Next time I will vacuum or blow out all the dirt laying around the plug before I even start.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
1998 F150 4.6L auto w/ ~83K

i've been experiencing a similar "shudder", usually in the lower gears, and TWICE now, my 'check engine' light has come on during the 'shudder/gurgle' while idling at a redight. Both times, the code dealt w/ 'cylindar 5' issue...a misfire.

the first time it happened, i replaced the plugs and wires...and it happened again, and i have yet to do anything about it...fearing the worse.

i'll try the full-blown 'tune up' along w/ the transmission fluid flush suggested on the other thread, but my question is whether or not anyone else has had shuddering issues while idling....??

TYIA

Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Toenail- Try the tune up again, and make double sure of the plug gap. Sometimes, something that simple can be the cause of it. Also make sure that your plug boot "snaps" down onto the plug, and that the coil end snaps into place securely.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
98 F150 4.6L auto, just about to turn 100,000.

This thread sounds similar to the problems I am now experiencing. It's funny, I had to bite the bullet and have the dealership replace my heater core. While it was in, they recommended a couple hundred dollars of suggeted maintenance, to which I politely refused because of a ca$h shortage. A week later, I started getting that shuddering symptom spoken of here. After a week, the Check Engine light has come on.
I will be taking it to a local tranny repair franchise that claims to read the Check Engine codes for free. Wish me luck.
How did everyone else make out with their issues? I am curious to know.
Thanks for your time. Ken

Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I am having the same problem with my 97 F150 4.6L V8 auto 76,000 mi. I had the torque converter changed about 2 yrs ago because of severe shuddering. Then about a month ago (less than 10K miles later) it started shuddering again. I again took it to the trans. shop and they, again, replaced my torque converter, but it continues to shudder. I was wondering if it would be an electrical problem or something other than the tranny this time. And if so, did I get a new T.C. unnecessarily this time ? I am going to try changing all the parts mentioned (plugs, wires, etc.) and see if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions in the mean time ? Thanks.

Quick Reply: "Tranny" problem fixed