quick transmission question/your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick transmission question/your thoughts

I understand the concept between a brand new (whats in the truck on the assembly line) transmission and a reman. Just wondering if you can go to Ford and say I want a BRAND NEW transmission, and get the same thing that was in your vehicle when it rolled off the show room floor. Do you think it would be the same quality and last as long as the very first tranny the truck, and what would a brand new one cost, like a 4r70w or something. Assuming you pick it up, take it home and install it your self. Has anyone ever done this. Im wondering because Im sure in the next three years or so I will be forced to venture down this road and decide which route to take.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Call your local Ford dealer's parts counter & ask them cost/availability/warranty of a NEW over-the-counter transmission. Make sure they understand you don't want a factory or aftermarket reman. They'll need the VIN & possibly the trans tag info to get the correct PN for a true quote. I'd expect it to be no less than $3K, but I'm just guessing there.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Sounds about right - one of my kids has a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan (120k miles) with a bum transmission - it's been halfass rebuilt twice and it's still in bad shape. I've asked around and the consensus is don't mess with rebuilds and get a new crate tranny from Chrysler at 3 grand. It will have a 3 year 36k mile warranty on it and all the upgrades - of which there are a TON. Those Chrysler front drive electronic overdrives were bad transmissions. The decision will be made when it craps again - go do it right or get rid of the van.

I'm helping out there - I gave them my old Beretta so her hubby can get back and forth to work, this takes a 50 mile a day load off the van and she can use it to do her thing while he's at work instead of having to wait till he gets home.

Last edited by glc; 02-17-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You know, when it comes to Ford transmissions there are people out there that can rebuild them better than a new factory unit.

Also, on any transmission older than current model year you might be told that you are getting a "new" transmission but that isn't the case when it comes to Ford. They are rebuilt just like the ones you get from other places. And Ford contracts just like everyone else does, for best price. They are not done "in house" at Ford.

Darrin

Quick Reply: quick transmission question/your thoughts