1994 F150 goes into FORWARD in Neutral and Reverse!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 1994 F150 goes into FORWARD in Neutral and Reverse!

Hey Everyone, Having a Really tough time figuring this one out, hoping someone might have a better idea than me. 1994 F-150, 351, E4OD Trans. Recently replaced transmission for the third time trying to figure this one out.
Transmission in park, truck is ok. When put into reverse, Truck goes forward. Neutral, same thing. All other gears work as intended.

I removed the linkage from trans, and moved it by hand. Same thing. When the scan tool is hooked up, The truck registers all gears, Reverse on selector matches up to reverse on computer, so on and so forth. What is Going on here?

Thanks guys.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you saying the original trans did this, the replacement (2nd) did it too, and now the 3rd is doing the same thing? Where are you getting these transmissions & who is installing them? What does the fluid look like when you remove one? Are you flushing the cooler EVERY time?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Talking

Hey, I'm installing these transmissions myself (4th Year Apprentice Technician). I have flushed the cooler everytime. I changed the Manual lever position sensor. In the second tranny, It was like it was brake torquing in park when you went to rev it. Tranny tech said it sounds like the forward clutches were welded together. Replaced transmission. Same thing, except it's not doing the brake torquing thing. It's going forward in park, forward in neutral, forward in reverse.

Fluid on the first two came out ok. On this trans, I used premium Mercon fluid, not the universal stuff. Filled converter with a litre before installation, flushed cooler with brake cleaner.

I played with the lever sensor a bit, and got the truck to stop going forward in park, but neutral and reverse still go forward. I am just bewildered here. No Codes on scan tool.

Thanks for the response dude - I owe ya

Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I hope you used the new design MLPS - the original was discontinued for water intrusion, which might be the root cause of your problems. This is an old-design; the new one's connector should be DIFFERENT.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Talking

Hey - The MLPS I have is from the boneyard, and is the old style. I'm just so afraid this is going to be a mechanical problem, and I'm going to be putting another transmission in this thing. I've got access to Mitchell's, and I've been searching rigorously - To no avail. I was told there is an aligning technique for the MLPS...Could this cause my problem?

hats off to you guys, It's nice to GET the help when you really need it!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
The alignment is shown in that photo in my post above. Click it to enlarge. Set the e-brake, shift to N, loosen the 2 mounting screws, align the marks, & tighten the screws.

Get the new style MLPS, especially if you get a new trans.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Talking

Hey dude, thanks for the reply - I line those two male slots up with the female on the actual trans slots, right? I don't think I had it wrong, but I'll look at it again. I'm going to get a new one ASAP, and I will let you know what happens. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... If that doesn't work go see GARY SR. at WORLDWIDE TRANSMISSION. Tell him NEAL sent you there. He'll take care of you. It's right around the corner from your house on MARRENTETTE AVE. Their # is 519.972.5744

Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Pretty wild

Hey guys, I wanted to thank you all for your help in this problem. It's been a long undertaking, but I got it fixed. The cause? The Spring steel finger that the rooster meshes with - Was BENT at like 90 Degrees, Making it jump one gear ahead! I could get 1st, 2nd, And Drive, But no reverse, or park. Also found the machined shaft in the valve body that attaches to the manual lever was broken off, found a piece of it in the pan. These were definately not hard fixes, really only had to drop the pan, and remove a 5/16" Bolt for the finger, and a snap ring for the shaft. It was especially cheap too, since I had an extra transmission lying beside the truck in the shop. I just had a gut feeling it was a mechanical issue, but it's absoloutely CRAZY that like 3 other transmission did the same thing. Has anyone ever experienced a stifling problem like this that made you almost want to give up? Thanks so much guys!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello i have thesame problem with my 1997 Ford f150.
I really dont understand the solution above any help please?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
That was a rare problem. Unless you recently had your transmission out of the truck, or if the pan is damaged, that isn't going to be the cause of your problem.

99% of the time when this happens the cause is that the forward clutch has failed and has welded itself together. That means it's time to replace or rebuild the transmission.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
That was a rare problem. Unless you recently had your transmission out of the truck, or if the pan is damaged, that isn't going to be the cause of your problem.

99% of the time when this happens the cause is that the forward clutch has failed and has welded itself together. That means it's time to replace or rebuild the transmission.
Correct, the only time I have seen this happen is the intermediate one way clutch failed, the intermediate clutch plates welded themselves together and the truck had forward gears in neutral and reverse.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Trans problems

Hi I have a crown vic 2002 and I rebuild this transmission but there's no reverse and no forward now so can you help me I don't know why this trans is doing that when everything is new

Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlos Pinera
Hi I have a crown vic 2002 and I rebuild this transmission but there's no reverse and no forward now so can you help me I don't know why this trans is doing that when everything is new
Get a pressure gauge (0-350 PSI) and put it in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. Record pressures with the engine idling in P, R, N, D, 2, and 1.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by 1994f150XLT
Hey guys, I wanted to thank you all for your help in this problem. It's been a long undertaking, but I got it fixed. The cause? The Spring steel finger that the rooster meshes with - Was BENT at like 90 Degrees, Making it jump one gear ahead! I could get 1st, 2nd, And Drive, But no reverse, or park. Also found the machined shaft in the valve body that attaches to the manual lever was broken off, found a piece of it in the pan. These were definately not hard fixes, really only had to drop the pan, and remove a 5/16" Bolt for the finger, and a snap ring for the shaft. It was especially cheap too, since I had an extra transmission lying beside the truck in the shop. I just had a gut feeling it was a mechanical issue, but it's absoloutely CRAZY that like 3 other transmission did the same thing. Has anyone ever experienced a stifling problem like this that made you almost want to give up? Thanks so much guys!
f250
I'm having the same problem what is exactly is the sring steel finger thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 F150 goes into FORWARD in Neutral and Reverse!