Cracked the Bellhousing again

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked the Bellhousing again

I have an '04 f150, I have blown the transmission(4r70w) twice in it now and now I'm pursuing changing the transmission completely. What exactly is linked in the computer system between the engine and transmission? Would a new transmission controller allow me to change the transmission or would their be some disagreement in the computer system between the engine and transmission? Is their a new efi computer, pcm, for the new modular 5.4L. What other transmissions would bolt directly to my motor, what adapter plates are avaliable? Can they be custom made by someone?

-don't factor in transfercase or the driveshafts fitting

Last edited by lewisbest; 02-13-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm very confused. What do you want to do?

1. Are the mounts loose that cracked yer housing?

2. Do you want a stick or automatic?

3. The 4R75e is directly controled by the PCM, but you can get custom tuning, or you can build one yerself.

4. A few other ford trannys (if it came from a 4.6, 5.4, 6.8, or 6.0) will "bolt in" but makin' the elecronics work would be tricky.

5. Why wouldn't we factor in the other major components fitting?

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 AM
I would like to switch to a 4r100 or possibly a torqshift that has been built up, would it bolt up directly, would the pcm work? sorry for all the questions this is not my area of expertise.

the other major components don't matter because it is all moveable and adaptable to whatever I put in the truck

I'll need to check the mounts, their sure was alot of vibration but that could be from the unbalanced driveshaft, unbalanced tires on beadlock rims, or the three speed transfer case.

Last edited by lewisbest; 02-14-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lewisbest your rig is sweet. i like that front winch

Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lewisbest
I would like to switch to a 4r100 or possibly a torqshift that has been built up, would it bolt up directly, would the pcm work?
The PCM would not even be close. You'd need to develop your own custom PCM for the TorqShift, Baumann Engineering makes a custom controller for a 4R100.

The would bolt up if you get the right one. All TorqShifts have the modular bolt pattern, so while there is no way to make it shift, it should bolt up. 4R100s have a couple different patterns, make sure you get one that has the modular pattern. It is the most common.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:38 AM
your bellhousing keeps cracking? I have an El Camino that I drag race at the track. I too kept breaking bellhousings and kept wondering why. I took the drive shaft to a drive shaft shop to put it on their balancer and it was bent. The balancer showed a slight wobble in the shaft. I had them build me a custom unit, one that they build for big delevery trucks. After the new drive shaft was installed I have not broken a bellhousing yet. I had replaced everything, mounts, crossmembers, four more trannys, new rear end, axles and u joints. I finally decided to check the shaft and sure enough, it was warped. I would recomend checking your drive shaft, if you go off road it is very possible it is bent. Any drive line shop will have a drive shaft balancer and will probably throw it on their maching for next to nothing to check it for you. In my opinion, you may not need a different tranny. Just my .02 though.

Quick Reply: Cracked the Bellhousing again