Can I install a lockout switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I install a lockout switch?

I have the transmission below in the 4.2 V6. I just bought it with 150K miles, and when I took it on my first long drive today, I notice that about 50-60 mph, it shifts very hard. I also noticed that on slight hills or just 'let off gas for a second and then re-apply gas' I'd get a hard shift back into gear. I think it is a trans lockout (if it has one).

When I had an 84 corvette once, you could get kits or wire in a lockout switch to keep them locked. Can I get one for the F-150, or does anyone know how to wire in a on/off switch to the lockout? I'm and electrical engineer and mechanic, so I should be able to handle that.

Jon

Model: 4R70w
Type: Four speed, Rear wheel drive, and 70(x10)lbs of torque
Years: '94-'07 F-150
Engines: {302, 4.2L}, {4.6L, 5.4L}
Display: PRN(D)21 w/ overdrive lockout switch
Fluid: Mercon V
Ratios:
1st 2.84:1
2nd 1.55:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.70:1
Reverse 2.32:1
Trans code: U

Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

You mean a torque converter lockup switch? Pretty simple to wire one up for a E4OD/4R100, see here...

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87296

But I don't know of anyone trying it for the 4R70w.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I have TC lock up issue with my 4R70W about a year ago and the same purple w/ yellow wire in main ECU harness is for the TC lockup. You ground it to lock the TCC if I recall correctly.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Within limits, throttle modulation will unlock the converter as well as the brake pedal operation. Then locks up again after a short time interval.
This feature has been in use since the first A4LD and other electric converter clutch controls types back before at least 1984.
If the trans is acting up then have the trans fixed.
Trying to get around this with a lockout is waisting gas and generating extra heat in the trans fluid unless you don't care.
Manuel locking would be the better option of the two but it isn't so good either under certain other conditions.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 AM
If I install a switch to the correct wire, will that allow me to select lock up or not? I really only want it for highway use.

My other idea is I'm looking at a rebuilt tranny. Guy has one from a 98 Mustang. Does anyone know if they are identical?
Jon

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Within limits, throttle modulation will unlock the converter as well as the brake pedal operation. Then locks up again after a short time interval.
This feature has been in use since the first A4LD and other electric converter clutch controls types back before at least 1984.
If the trans is acting up then have the trans fixed.
Trying to get around this with a lockout is waisting gas and generating extra heat in the trans fluid unless you don't care.
Manuel locking would be the better option of the two but it isn't so good either under certain other conditions.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You must understand the operation first.
It's not just a simple switch.
The PCM constantly looks at the TCC to check for shorts, open, or cross conditions. There are supporting DTC codes for this that flash the OD lamp.
When the TCC is operated, the PCM puts a ground on the lead to the transmission.
Without the right conditions all the time, you may see a code generated and OD lamp as a result of manuel switching.
The TCC must be unlocked when the road speed is very low to prevent engine stall and having the engine try to keep pulling when you don't need it.
A control indicator should be used in addition so you can see what conditions are present because the PCM can also put a ground out even if the switch is not forcing an operation to take place.
With stock factory operation you don't need to be concered with all this.
As for a Mustang trans, it may not be a 70w but an AODE version without the wide gearing. Is that what you want? Better be sure. The better thing to do is have the trans you have, fixed.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I just made an appt at a transmission shop for a check out. I agree that it's probably just best to fix it.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Can I install a lockout switch?