Transmission Additive Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Additive Problem.

I have 1998 f150 that has had a liitle slip between 2-3 gear. And also shuddering here and there. I have 130,000 miles on my truck and have 470w tranny. I put some additive in the other day from autozone that said helps slipping and increses vicosity of the fluid. Three days later it is slipping and shuddering bad. Would to much fluid in system cause this or is this stuff bad to put in. I have been reading on this site the past couple of days in regards to changing filter/fluid and draing TC. Before i crawl under my truck in this cold *** weather here in mass any other recomandations. I think this might be the first time the fluid/filter is beening changed should i use mecon v or try some synthtic fluid. Thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Changing the fluid and filter won't do much to solve your problem. When it starts slipping it's usually a sign of more serious internal issues. It's possible the filter is clogged and changing it may improve things, but I believe the damage has been done. Unfortunately it may be time to either rebuild or replace the tranny. I've never believed in additives of any sort, and I've never found one that does what it claims.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Start savin' yer nickles for a rebuild. Sorry man.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 PM
most addatives are useless for slipping issues, they can help lessen oil leaks if any are present.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HHHmmmmm

I had a shudder between 2nd and Drive that was completly cured with a fluid & filter change. I drained the torque converter too, and refilled with 12 qts of Valvoline Mercon V. The bottle even mentions "Ford" and "anti-shudder" on the front label.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when its starts slipping its usually to late. time for a rebuild. although i did have a some luck with lucas products.i had a 93 taurus that the tranny started slipping. the lucas oil helped a little i was able to get to work.no big deal i paid 500$ for the car anyway. just needed another 2 weeks out of here before i could pick up my 150.definitley was not a permenant fix.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for info. I will be going to my garage monday and roll the dice with a full flush . If that doesnt help i'll change the filter. Then if that doesnt work i'll be calling Fidelity. $$$

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Skip the first two, go straight to #3..

Steve

Old 02-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Some modified the fluid mix. @ quarts of synthetic ATF and 1 quart of synthetic 75W90, along with 5 oz of friction modifier. They say that it never shifted better. Many manufacturers use ATF in their manuals, as it improves fuel milage by reducing drag inside the transmission. I also personally believe the high pressure film protection is somewhat reduced.

One of the more popular and widely accepted additives is made by Lubegard. They make a 4oz. additive under the trade name "Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx". With the 2oz concentrate there is no worry about overfilling. Most trans repair shops will have This and I thisnk it is $10.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
DO NOT change the fluid without changing the filter too. That's just a waste of time. And I'll place a wager right here that a filter and oil change is gonna fix it. Don't use ANY aftermarket oil. Don't use any additives!!! Just put what ford says into it, and it will most likely fix it. You don't know how many times I've seen people put the wrong oil in, neglect changing it, add additives, and RUIN a ford trans. All it takes is a fluid and filter change to fix it!

Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I'll throw this in here as my .02 (and that's probably all it's worth, but here goes).

My wife's 99 crown vic had a shuddering problem every once in awhile. We took about a 300 mile round trip a couple of months ago and it got worse. I took it to my transmission shop and $1800 later it was fixed (rebuild).

My in-law's also have a crown vic (2001) and it began having the same problem. My father in law ran into a couple of Ford dealer mechanics while eating lunch one day and posed the question. They recommended changing the fluid--especiallythe torque converter fluid. He took their advice, changed the fluid, and it has not shuddered since.

Now, I don't know about the slipping, but wanted to pass on this experience.

Quick Reply: Transmission Additive Problem.