T. Converter - Tranny Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T. Converter - Tranny Help

I have done a few things (air intake, exhaust, cosmetics, etc) to my 99 4x4 but now being told need new torque converter & tranny. Other than I know will be big $$ I know nothing about tranny's. Help!

I have 110k miles and have whinning, high pitch, spinning noise that occurs when goes thru gears. Only occurs when in gear and from about 1500 to 2000 rpm then downshifts. 4x4 automatic.

Mechanic at local St Pete dealer says thinks is either torque converter going bad or maybe torque pump. Says has to drop tranny to get to either and since has tran down might as go ahead are replace the tran also.

Since I know nothing about trannys I don't know if dealer is simply trying to sell a tran or if really makes sense to replace tran while down?

If makes sense should I just replace with OEM/stock version or look for something heavy duty. Not that I am particularly disappointed with the original (110k miles, FL heat, pull boat occassionally...). Appears that if get 80k-100k out of tran doing okay???

Thanks for any thoughts and advise.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Install a goodyear gatorback belt first! I know it seems unrelated but believe me it usually fixes these problems. It's not the transmission making the noise it is the belt slipping.
Alan

Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you had a major torque converter problem you would know it. slipping, real hard shifts,leaking, it would do some shaking. try the new belt. if that doesnt work get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Gator Belt

thanks for reply and help. what is a gator belt???? not having any slipping or hard shifting....just spinning noise as goes thru gears in 1500-2000 rpm range, pretty continous, higher pitch as reaches upper end then downshifts. Noise appears to be coming from behind engine and in front of transmission.

thanks again....any futher advise like help understanding what is gator belt?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm not much of a trans guy, but a Gatorback belt is a model of belt made by Goodyear. Best belts available IMO.

Quick Reply: T. Converter - Tranny Help