Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem

alright guys yesterday i was driving my truck and i went to pull forward in first and accidentally stalled out(something i never do) and when i went to start it back up there was only half pressure in the clutch pedal and it wouldnt shift back into first or any gear for that matter. So i turned it off and started the car back up and i got pressure back and parked the car and thought nothing of it. Today im driving and at a stop light i couldnt get the transmission from neutral into any gear again. Finally i do and get to where im going and once again park. I leave this place and no more than 100 feet from where i was i lose all pressure in the clutch pedal and i cant shift it into any gear. Tried numorous things even added brake fluid to the reservoir to see if that would help. It built up a little pressure then was gone again. So i just had it towed and a shop is gonna look at it. Im thinking its the slave cylinder what do you all think??
Thank god i dont have 4x4 cause the labor costs from pulling the transmission would be a complete raping.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like either a slave or master cylinder.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Odds are that the slave is leaking... it is a common problem with these trucks.

JMC

Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Yea thats what i figured. Well i talked to a rep from aamco transmissions and they gave me a ballpark figure about how much it would cost. They havent looked at it yet but based on what I told them they think its the slave cylinder and i was also told that sometimes the clutch gets ruined by the leaking fluid from the slave so that may have to be replaced. Since they are gonna have the transmission out anyways they recommended just replacing the clutch anyways which i agree with. He told me they dont replace the clutches with ford oem ones since they think they are crap and they are around 500 dollars. Instead it would be replaced it with a Luk clutch kit. But if im not mistaken doesnt Luk manufacture the clutch kits in the trucks that come from the factory??? Cost of the clutch kit is around 200 and the slave cylinder is about 80, with labor they said itd total to around 675 which to me sounds like a pretty good deal as ive heard people getting quotes from ford dealerships to just replace the slave cylinder for around 600-900 dollars. He never asked me whether it was 4x4 or not so who knows if the quote was for 4x2 or 4x4. I have a 2wd so if it was for 4x4 it would be even cheaper. They will also tow my truck there for free which is nice. what you guys think??

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
No, lot more labor on the 4x4s. Lux makes the ford clutch. I went with a centerforce I in the '92.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
so are you saying theres a lux and a luk? i asked about the centerforce and he said he doesnt recommend putting them in because it puts stress on the transmission.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:44 PM
My bad, it's luk.

35k miles of hard drivin on my M5OD-R2 in the '92 and it hasn't been too much "stress on the transmission", so that's all I can tell ya bout that.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Same thing happened here - and both the master and slave were leaking. Local garage did a complete clutch job and both cylinders, used aftermarket heavy duty components because they were the only parts available same day other than reman Ford which he doesn't trust, cost me $1246 including a transmission lube dump and refill. Labor here is $80/hr.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Same thing happened here - and both the master and slave were leaking. Local garage did a complete clutch job and both cylinders, used aftermarket heavy duty components because they were the only parts available same day other than reman Ford which he doesn't trust, cost me $1246 including a transmission lube dump and refill. Labor here is $80/hr.

What heavy duty aftermarket components were used? So based on the quote i got im getting a good deal??

Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
JMC

You are getting a good deal. R&R a 5 speed 4x2 should take about 3½ hours. Clutch kit, slave about $300.00. Make sure that they reface the flywheel. I would ask them to find out how much meat that the shop takes off of the flywheel and have it shipped that same amount. This just keeps the flywheel face at the proper distance from the release bearing.

JMC

Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
You are getting a good deal. R&R a 5 speed 4x2 should take about 3½ hours. Clutch kit, slave about $300.00. Make sure that they reface the flywheel. I would ask them to find out how much meat that the shop takes off of the flywheel and have it shipped that same amount. This just keeps the flywheel face at the proper distance from the release bearing.

JMC
What exactly do you mean by shipped? or did you mean shimmed?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
JMC

Sorry 'bout the typo. Brain said M and fingers typed P. Yes I do mean shimmed.

JMC

Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Sorry 'bout the typo. Brain said M and fingers typed P. Yes I do mean shimmed.

JMC

Haha no problem man. So i should have them shim the fly wheel? Btw you have a really nice setup with the 5.4 and 5 speed im pretty envious, all around bad *** truck. You must have had the computer reprogrammed im presuming in order to use a manual transmission?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I'm embarrassed to tell you I don't know what brand he used. I trust this guy, he's a personal friend and I've been taking my vehicles to his shop for service that I can't or don't want to do for over 20 years. All he said was that he could get a reman Ford kit or an aftermarket heavy duty kit - price difference was about $200. I said go for the gusto. Does "Brute Force" mean anything to you guys? I *think* that's what he said.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
JMC

'03beast,

Thanks for the compliment. The truck started life as a 4.6 with 5 speed manual. I swapped in the 5.4. Mike Troyer does my tuning. He reprogrammed my chip for the extra displacement. BTW I am on tranny #4. The next tranny will be a ZF from a SuperDuty.

JMC

Quick Reply: Clutch problem