Cold whine, trouble at dealer....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold whine, trouble at dealer....

Really trying not to get upset. I work in the automotive service industry. Its something I see almost daily. I have a frt end whine/bearing type noise that seems to be coming from the transfer case and frt axle/diff. It only is there for the first two miles when temp is below 30 deg. F. It go's with vehicle speed and sounds like miss-aligned gear or a dry one. Fluid levels check good and no functional problems with four wheel drive. In fact, If I turn on the four wheel drive, the whine stops imediatly. If I switch it back to two wheel drive it comes back in 5-10 seconds. Dealer didn't get it to make the sound in two consecutive days. I picked it up and drove for two weeks. It made the sound each and every time I drove after sitting and getting cold. They have replaced the "controller module" last time and made no difference. They did tell me another vehicle came in like mine and they found "the hubs" were causing the noise. Not sure if they could cause this but I'm not too framiliar with 4x4 systems enough to know for sure. I hope someone has had a similar experience and can help. Thanks in advance T

Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 AM
My 2005 F150 4x4 SuperCrew has the exact same problem. I don't drive much. After it sat in this extremely cold weather for about a week I took it for a drive and had the same whining sound you describe. I even let it warm up for about 10 minutes before even backing out of the driveway. As soon as I put it in drive and started to accelerate I immediately noticed the whining sound. I was so loud I fiqure something was definately wrong with the tranny. I called the dealer and had it towed via flatbed. They said that they couldn't duplicate the problem. I went back to pick it up on a warmer day and didn't hear any problems going home. Today I drove it again after sitting for 10 days and I faintly heard the whining sound again. 29 degrees this morning. I fiqured the only way they be able to fix it is when the damn thing either locks up or falls out. By the way I ONLY have 15000 miles on my truck. This is really disappointing. Hopefully, because of the cold wheather something is just not getting as lubricated as it should.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Fixxed! Found the TSB repair that had the 4x4 contorl module replaced, didnt include replacing the 4wd hubs. Water gets sucked in by the vacuum lines. The water freezes into ice and inhibits the hubs from moving away from the front drive axle gears. When they remove the old hubs the water is removed by default and new lube is installed. New hubs and no problem!! YAY!! Make sure they follow the TSB exactly to make sure all components are replaced, not just the 4wd control module. T

Quick Reply: Cold whine, trouble at dealer....