Trans question on 04 Screw....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans question on 04 Screw....

OK, I have a question (bear with me). I have been searching on the trans fluid change thing here. Having an 04 I know my TC doesnt have a drain plug so I assume that I have two options. 1)Drop the pan, clean the filter and pan, replace pan and refill the fluid. This will only replace some of the fluid right? What percent 20%, 50%, more? OR 2)Go to a dealer and pay a lot of $ for them to do a flush. This removes all old fluid and replaces it with new fluid without dropping the pan?

Now, I have read a little about a flush being bad?

If I wanted to use step 1 above and I wanted to replace the current fluid with Amsoil or something wouldn't I need to get all of the old fluid out so I am not mixing fluids?

I mean, can they not just have a flippin drain plug to drain all of the crap at one time? Why does it have to be so difficult (or is it just me)?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropping the pan gets about half of the fluid. The other half can only be changed with a flush. Many uninformed people think a flush is bad. It is not. It is the only way you can change all the fluid in your trans.

I also think there should be a drain plug in the torque converter, but there isn't, so you have to do something else to get that fluid out. As for one plug to change all the fluid, dream on. It isn't possible as long as there is a torque converter.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work part time at a lube place and we had a flush machine. If someone wanted it done and their vehicle had over 75K miles they had to sign a waiver before it could be done. Something about if the tranny failed the company wasn't liable. That tells you right then that something is not in your favor.

The one thing I did notice was if the operater wasn't paying attention the flush machine could over fill the tranny and it would flow out the dip stick tube. Now if you have some junk that's floating in the pan and the machine over flows, over service's then that stuff is back up at the top of the tranny working it's way back down. Maybe it could cause's problems or not?? I think the operaters cause more problems then the machine it's self

As for me I just drop the pan, change the filter, add fluid myself cause I've seen to many twisted cooler lines. It's pretty bad when a truck is driven in for a simple job and leaves on a flat bed.

Quick Reply: Trans question on 04 Screw....