30,000 mile service questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30,000 mile service questions

This is my first post so bear with me...

I have a 2004 F150 4X4 with the 5.4 in it and have had no problems so far. I have moved alot do to being in the military therefore my truck has gone to numorous dealers for service. I have only had oil changes done so far. I am getting ready for the 30,000 mile service but don't want to spend the rediculous amount the dealer will charge. I don't need a air filter because I run a K&N FIPK. I know its past time for the fuel filter.

My question is in the 2004 maintenance guide it states the trans oil needs to be changed, but when the 2004 model was introduced, several magazine articles said the trans oil never needs to be changed. I thought the normal rule of thumb was 50,000 miles for the auto trans oil change? Can I get by with just having the fuel filter and oil changed?

I will try to get pics up soon. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Change the Fluid

Hi

Like any mechanical device that circulates lubricating fluid, you have wear in the pump and system components. The Trans has a filter for a reason, worn clutch material and metal particles from standard wear of parts. Fluid does loose its lubricating qualities with age, use, and breakdown due to heat. So I would change the Trans Fluid. Their are plenty of good products out there. Royal Purple and Amsoil to name a few. A flush that includes the Torque Converter would be best, plus the filter change. There are some people who say "DONT DO IT", but I have never understood their logic. Usually based on Bills brothers, friend Bob did it, and it ruined the transmission. I just dont think so, New Oil and New Filter BAD ? Thats like saying changing the regular engine oil is bad for your truck.

Vince

Old 01-20-2007, 02:35 PM
I go to an independent shop, and my mechanic (who my family has used for 20 years and is a very good guy) suggests a tranny flush once a year. I put about 20,000 miles on a year.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt bother with the flush. new fluid and filter every 30k youll be fine.if you really want some insurance just add a cooler. all you military guys {and ladys lol} keep up the good work ,we appreciate it.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like the most logical thing to do is to change the trans fluid and filter, the fuel filter and the regular oil change.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
The best and most efficiant trans fluid change is using a transtech style machine. It hooks to your tranny cooler lines at the radiator and uses the tranny pump while running to move the fluid into the machine, which then puts in as much new fluid as it takes out old. This effectively changes about 95% of the fluid, which is much more than you'll ever get with a drain and full, and it 10X less messy. You can get it done for around $100 or less in a good shop. The filter should be good for at least another 30K miles.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile service questions