quick question emergency!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question emergency!

my tranny is leaking slowly and its almost out... i have to go get more fluid and put it in myself b/c the shop is closed.. what kinda fluid do i buy.. 96 f150 i6 4.9L 4 speed auto with 10w30 motor oil.. and how much do i fill it up and do i just pour it in where the tranny dipstick comes out?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
anyone? :\

Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know off the top of my head what type of transmission fluid to use, but your owner's manual should be able to tell you, as should the folks at the parts counter of your local auto parts store. You could also probably find out online (i.e., Google something like Ford 4R70W transmission fluid). After a brief look, it seems as if you want Mercon V, but double check that before you pour anything into your transmission.

As for how to add it, yes... you pour it down the transmission dipstick tube. As for how much to add, it depends on how low your current level is. The standard procedure for checking transmission fluid level is for the vehicle/transmission to be fully warmed up, sitting on a level surface, in Park, with the engine running.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 PM
As he said but the fluid type should be on your dipstick. Go through gears also and check again. It could take alot depending on how much leaked. But if the tranny was working it probably didnt lose quarts. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
yah... it was under the cold mark when my engine been running about 30 miles.. and plenty warm.. so i put about 1/3 to 1/2 quart in it and its back up to hot.. i just called the transmission place that is supposed to replace my rear seal and the part was supposed to get there today and it wont be there until tomorrow... i told the guy like "hey look, i just went to refill it and its leaking everywhere and it was almost out of tranny fluid... is there anyway you can get the part in any sooner?" he was like "whoa... let me call you right back"

heh... if the transmission breaks while the part is being ordered they said i can drive on it.. they would not replace the whole transmission thats bull****.. they would say its my fault... just while i was replacing the fluid in my garage.. i pulled out of garage and looked on ground there was like 5-6 drops of tranny fluid.. parked overnight i lost about 5 big slpotches.. i seriously hope they arent just trying to hold it over until the warrenty goes out and then i have to pay for all of this little crap going wrong with it.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Me thinks you will be OK, just keep fluid in it.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't use MerconV if you have the E4OD (TRANS code E on the door sticker) - use Mercon General. If you have the 4R70W (TRANS code U), it takes MerconV. Read the bottom of this page.

Quick Reply: quick question emergency!