Installing Tranny Temp Gauge on 2002

Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Tranny Temp Gauge on 2002

I was wanting to install an Autometer tranny temp gauge on my 2002 automatic F150. How do I go about doing this...connecting it to the tranny? I can handle mounting it. Also what is the normal operating temp for my tranny? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Well you want to go with a "MECHANICAL" temp gauge. Stay away from "ELECTRICAL" temp gauges. IMO their garbage, not accurate. I've had tons of problems with them over the years.

The best place to tap into is on the "OUT GOING" trans line. This will give you the most accurate temp reading on your tranny. Since the trans fluid flows through the TQ converter before exiting the tranny and the TQ converter creates most of the heat in a tranny you want it on the "OUT GOING" line. You will need a temp manifold from AUTOMETER to splice into the trans line and for your temp probe to screw into. Here's a few pics of my set-up :

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...l.aspx?vid=169

Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM
So the "outgoing line" that you tapped into goes to the tranny cooler? Where did you get the lines you tapped into so I can thread it all together? Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Is that the stock line size (5/16")? I was looking for something like this where I wouldn't have to cut the rubber section of the lines. What is the fitting size and type (AN, NPT, etc) for the transmission cooler lines?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Up front, under the rad look for the hard line that goes to the top of the rad and that's the 'out going' line from the trans.

Figure out a way to tap into that line and that's all you need to do.

Neal's way is pretty slick, and he helped me out when I was putting in my gauges a long time ago, but I did basically the same thing by tapping into the stock rubber hose section of the line where it transitions from the frame of the truck to the front rad crossmemeber (where some flex can occur apparently..) I used some 3/8" hose connectors and a brass "T" I got from Home Depot to plumb the thing. I added an additional 18" length of rubber trans line to 'loop' around to make the connection back to the line going to the top of the rad.

I did use the worthless electric gauge setup, but it works for me... So does the electric water temp gauge I setup in a similar manner using the rubber inlet hose to the heater core... If you go electric, you will have to run a ground wire to the frame in order to make it work.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
My friend (when he was in the Navy) was a calibrations tech. He checked the calibration on his electronic water and oil temp gauges and checked my water, oil and transmission gauges (2 each, for my race car, my turbo beast and my F150) and he said they were all within 5* of actual. In my book, this is plenty accurate considering the output is an analog gauge...

Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
My electric trans gage is still working good.
Auto meter gages most people use are not the worlds best gages, but do ok.
In mounting the sensor near the trans, make sure it can't get any direct heat radiated from the cat converter.
Extend the shield with some alum, if needed.

You only need a single wire into the cab but do need to get power from the fuse panel to power the gage and nite light.
This works well using add-a-taps to the fuses that supply the right switched power.
For those, consult the owners manuel or come back and ask. I or some one can look it up.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can keep it easy and get an eletronic gauge from autometer. Thats what i did on my 02 F150 and it worked great.

With the eletronic gauge you dont need to tap into lines, You simply screw the sender into the test port which is located on the driver side of the tranny, right next to the transimion linkage.

Then run a wire from the send to the gauge, and run a 12V and a GND cable to the gauge from under the dash.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by bushtree
With the eletronic gauge you dont need to tap into lines, You simply screw the sender into the test port which is located on the driver side of the tranny, right next to the transimion linkage.
Is this going to give you the hottest reading?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by SRockwood
Is this going to give you the hottest reading?
HI!... No, it can be as much as 30 degree's off. I know I tested it with two gages. Thats why I did my set up the way I did. It gets the temp of the hottest the fluid will get. Think of it this way. Say your tranny fluid will start to burn at say 220 degree's. You install your temp sensor in the test port or the pan and it reads 210 degree's. You think your still safe, right? Wrong! The fluid coming out of the out going line is already at 240 degree's and your fluid is already starting to burn................

Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by dbdragracing
I was wanting to install an Autometer tranny temp gauge on my 2002 automatic F150. How do I go about doing this...connecting it to the tranny? I can handle mounting it. Also what is the normal operating temp for my tranny? Thanks.
I have an electric Autometer installed in mine - so do about a million other folks. They work fine, as long as you install them correctly. They are just as accurate as any other device in their price range - which means they are as accurate as the sensors your truck uses for engine management and everything else electronic.

There is a port on the driver's side of the tranny on my truck - yours may be different (I have the 4R100). Here's a pic:

As far as what temps to expect, I live in Florida. It is pretty hot here and I typically see 125* on the highway and 150-165* around town. I have seen it as high as 190* in August, doing burnouts and multiple hard acceleration sessions, followed by sitting in traffic.

I do have the larger 4X4 pan, the larger Factory Tech cooler and valve body installed.

As far as the highest heat point, who cares ? In my opinion, a tranny temp gauge is eye candy - by the time anything shows up as severe heating, the damage is already done. I just like having it...

Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
HI!... Well if you think TRANS temp gauges are EYE CANDY then mabey you should be driving a manual............ I tell you, my gauge has saved my $4000 transmission on several occasions.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... Well if you think TRANS temp gauges are EYE CANDY then mabey you should be driving a manual............ I tell you, my gauge has saved my $4000 transmission on several occasions.
Care to elaborate ?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Neal,

Did you have to run new lines from your cooler all the way back to the tranny? I think Im going to go mechanical like yours. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Cool

HI!... I did later due to I had the -6AN S/S braided line laying around with the RUSSELL -6AN fittings. You don't need to. The AUTOMETER temp manifold comes with compression fittings. Just decide where your going to install it and make one cut in the steel tranny line. Insert each side into the temp manifold and tighten up the compression fittings. Make sure you cut the tranny lines with the proper tool. A small brake line or pipe cutter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Tranny Temp Gauge on 2002