Question about 4x4 Low Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 4x4 Low Engagement

Earlier today, I was sitting an a relatively steep incline (driveway) and was getting ready to back into a very wet and muddy yard. I release my parking break, placed the tranny in neutral, and switched over to 4x4 Low. The 4x4 light came on quickly, but the Low Range light did not illuminate. I switched back to 4x2 and tried going back to 4x4 High, then in to Low...again, no prob with High Range, but would not go in to Low Range. So, I went back to 4x2, shifted to drive, and rolled a few feet down the driveway. Went back to Neutral, and tried again to go to Low Range...low and behold it worked this time. There was a bit of a "clunk" sound when it shifted in, but other than that everything worked perfectly. Also shifted back to 4x2 when finished with the job with no problem at all.

So...is this anything I need to worry about? I used to own an '85 Ford 4x4 and this was typical enough. Sometimes the shifter just wouldn't go in to Low with out spinning the tranny's internals a little bit. However, this truck has never done this to me before. Several times a summer I shift in to Low at the boat ramp with no problems at all, however this is always after driving down to the ramp, not right after startup. I always have it in low before backing down to the water, just in case.

Any advice...hopefully good news, would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You did have your foot on the brake each time I assume. In neutral, foot on brake, then shift.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The shift can take up to 20 seconds to finally finish sometimes.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes I did, otherwise I would have rolled down the hill in to the street.... In all seriousness, yes, I was pressing the brakes, and yes, I know that is what you have to do. Thanks for the thought though.

One thing to add, based on the "clunk" I heard/felt, I am certain the truck was trully not engaging in low range. I was reading some other posts where some folks seem to be having indicator light problems, but their low range is really engaging. Mine did not engage until after I drove a few feet down the driveway, stopped again, placed tranny in neutral with foot on brake, and turned switch to 4x4 Low position. At which point indicator light came on for Low Range and transfer case engaged.

Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
The shift can take up to 20 seconds to finally finish sometimes.

Adrianspeeder

Interesting, I have never heard that before. Both this truck, and the 2001 Ranger I had before it always shifted pretty much quickly after reaching 4x4 High. Good to know, perhaps I just needed to be more patient. I only waited about 10secs after seeing the 4x4 light come on I would suppose between attempts.

Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every so often, the gears won't mesh perfectly. Generally the system is able to force the gears together, but sometimes you get that one in a million shot where the gears just won't mesh. It can happen...

If it becomes a regular occurrance, I'd have it checked out. If it's a one-time thing, I wouldn't sweat it.

-Joe

Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrainey889
Yes I did, otherwise I would have rolled down the hill in to the street.... In all seriousness, yes, I was pressing the brakes, and yes, I know that is what you have to do. Thanks for the thought though.

One thing to add, based on the "clunk" I heard/felt, I am certain the truck was trully not engaging in low range. I was reading some other posts where some folks seem to be having indicator light problems, but their low range is really engaging. Mine did not engage until after I drove a few feet down the driveway, stopped again, placed tranny in neutral with foot on brake, and turned switch to 4x4 Low position. At which point indicator light came on for Low Range and transfer case engaged.

Mike
Sorry I had to ask it, but you would be surprised how many don't realize it, or read the OM.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
chances are if you would have moved a little bit it would have worked. sometimes my truck is like that. it should kick forward when you put it in 4 low and it cant on a steep incline.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Every so often, the gears won't mesh perfectly. Generally the system is able to force the gears together, but sometimes you get that one in a million shot where the gears just won't mesh. It can happen...
Especially when engaging on a hill like you did.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmIII
Especially when engaging on a hill like you did.
The hill has nothing to do with it. Once the transfer case slips into the neutral range, the gears should be free to move as necessary to engage. I engage and disengage on hills all the time out at the sand dunes... makes no difference.

-Joe

Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine actually engages easier/faster if i let it roll forward a little
but it usually doesnt take more than 15 sec for it to fully engage

Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
From 4H to 4Lo the shift should happen instantly. The front axle is already engaged so there is no delay for that. The electric shift motor is turning a rod with grooves that pushes 2 shift forks. One of the forks engages the gear that turns the chain the other fork shifts between Hi and low. 15 seconds is too long to wait for engagement on a regular basis. like Joe wrote once and a while is fine.

JMC

Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Good deal, thanks for all the replies everyone. I feel better now, and I haven't had any trouble since the other day.

Sometimes I think part of the problem is that I own a 4x4 and only use that particular feature about 15-20 times year. I sometimes go months without using it, especially from the end of summer until dead winter, then all the way from early spring until boating season. On a mild winter like the one I'm seeing here it the mid-west, I haven't really needed it at all, at least on the roads that is.

Mike

Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Sorry I had to ask it, but you would be surprised how many don't realize it, or read the OM.
No problem at all. If I had read a post similar to mine from another user, I would have asked the same question.

Mike

Quick Reply: Question about 4x4 Low Engagement