Loss of Gears..............

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Gears..............

Hi, I live in Ireland and I have a '98 2wd F150 with the 4.2 v6 engine.It has only covered 54,000 miles.It has a 4speed auto box and I have lost 3rd and 4th gears. I always drove it with the overdrive switched on if that would have any relevance.Info on auto boxes would be scarce here as also would be parts.
Any ideas what the problem might be?

Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 PM
My buddie lost 3rd and 4th about 6 months ago drove it around for a bit took it around the block lost second half way around and then finally 1st went out. Had it towed to another one of my buddies dads tranny shop and his problem was that some of the gear teeth broke off inside and with all the driving around all the gears got jacked up had to seplace everything cost him around 1900 to fix but luckally it was a friends dads shop so he got a bit of a discount but that might not be what your problem is, maybe drop the pan and take a look inside maybe you get lucky.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi, You might try here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/ It is a Ford Transmission Forum.
I found them a bit brief in answering, but maybe you can get better results.
Another source would be a Haynes Manual on Transmission repair, I believe that they are based in Dorset England, so it might be easily obtainable. Or that might be Chiltons. If you have a local Halfords they might help, if they are still in business (I left UK in 79). You will have to Google it.
The first step anyway would be to drain the fluid and replace it and the filter at the bottom where it sucks up the fluid. You can also check for debris in the sump pan.
Other than that, I have no ideas - I have transmission probs myself similar to yours with no 3rd (top) gear on a C6 trans, and so far it might be something called the 'direct clutch', or the 'governor' sticking, according to replies/discussions on that trans site.
I have no idea what either is, or how to fix them! I will find out though, so I have a start.
If you need a used trans, you might try searching 'salvage yards' using Google Canada (Google.ca) or Google.com - it might be cheaper to get one shipped out than you think. Guessing, 2 or 300 bucks Canadian (about 2.2 to the UK pound) should do it for the actual price without shipping. Or try Ebay.
Good Luck,
John

Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds like time for a new tranny. I lost 3rd and 4th in my 98 F150 4.6 one time, due to water in the tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: Loss of Gears..............