Help No 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help No 5th gear

I have a 98 f150 with the 5spd and i have been having problems with it. At first it was just a low grinding noise when i let the clutch out in first. Then it stared grinding every time i shifted to third and no i cant drive in fiuth cuase it keeps poping out ogear as soon as any load is put on it. At first when i the problems started i thought it was the clutch and blew it off untell it really needed to be done. But know i m not so sure thats the case. Someone told me it might be the syncronisers. Does anyone know what cuase all this. Any help would be great.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
could be your slave cylinder. check the linkage at the firewall between the clutch and slave cylinder (inside the cab). this is a pretty weak link. you may just want to start at the slave cylinder by replacing it. not too expensive and an easy thing to do.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
If it was the slave cylinder wouldn't it effect all the gears. I have no problems with second and forth?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
If it was the slave cylinder wouldn't it effect all the gears. I have no problems with second and forth?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twintips_17
I have a 98 f150 with the 5spd and i have been having problems with it. At first it was just a low grinding noise when i let the clutch out in first. Then it stared grinding every time i shifted to third and no i cant drive in fiuth cuase it keeps poping out ogear as soon as any load is put on it. At first when i the problems started i thought it was the clutch and blew it off untell it really needed to be done. But know i m not so sure thats the case. Someone told me it might be the syncronisers. Does anyone know what cuase all this. Any help would be great.
It sounds like it is just something with the shift linkages inside the transmission. If you can find a good transmission mechanic, he MAY be able to fix it without pulling the transmission, depending on just what it is.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The only 2 things that you could check without removing the tranny is the shift lever boot and tranny to engine bolts. If the inner boot is stiff it can cause the lever to pop out of gear. Highly unlikely on a used truck but never the less I would check it before removing the tranny. If the engine to tranny bolts are loose it can allow the tranny to pop out of gear. The other causes require transmission removal and disassembly.

JMC

Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep, if the engine/transmission are moving around a lot, it will cause it to shift out of gear. Other than that, if it's with just 3rd and 5th, it could be a bent shift fork (not sure how many forks/which gears share a fork on a Ford transmission) or worn gear faces.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 PM
JMC

First gear and second share the same fork/shift rail and syncro assembly. Third and fourth share and fifth and reverse share. That is why I asked if it popped out of reverse.

JMC

Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
It doesn't pop out of fifth. And i can shift it all the way into fifth and coast as long as i want. The second i put any presure on the gas it pops right out. at any speed, it doesn't matter. Any more suggestions.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Confused..

Originally Posted by twintips_17
It doesn't pop out of fifth. And i can shift it all the way into fifth and coast as long as i want. The second i put any presure on the gas it pops right out. at any speed, it doesn't matter. Any more suggestions.
Sorry twintips.. but does this sound like he's contradicting himself to anyone else? "It doesn't pop out of fifth."---"The second i put any presure on the gas it pops right out." I wasnt quite sure what to think after reading that...

David

Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Probably should read this. It doesn't pop out of fifth all the time

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Have the vehicle done any towing in it's life time?

Sounds to me like fifth gear, fork, and sliding gear need to be replaced, due to excessive wear. It pops out when pressure is applied because the shift fork, and sliding gear clearances have become to great where there is some slop between them. Also the gear teeth that lock between the sliding gear and the 5th OD gear have become deformed. Since they are deformed from original, they will still couple, but when torque is applied to them they push apart. Their teeth can not lock themselves together anymore their for they resist themselves when pressured into doing work. Hold fine when they don't have to work, like coasting and being at rest.

Your best bet is to get a new/rebuilt transmission due to the price of the parts in these.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Advice

So would it be better to have the tranny rebuilt and pay someone to do it. Or would it just be easyier for me to buya rebuilt trany and put it in myself? Which would be more cost effect. If i get it rebuilt would other gears go out in the future?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know what tranny i do have anyways. What is the designator for it?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
M5od-r2

Old 01-06-2007, 06:50 PM
JMC

I have purchased 2 bone yard/2nd hand trannies. The first one was out of a 01 F-150 4x4 and the second one was from a 98 f-150 4x2. The first one lasted about 2 years and then I used parts from the 98 and parts from the original to make a hybrid. It is what is in the truck now. Depending on the tools you have available and your skills you could buy the parts and rebuild. If you feel uncomfortable doing that you could google M5OD-r2 and see what pops up. Make sure that you specify the model year and 4x4 or 4x2. Order the tranny and put it in yourself. New slave, clutch and pilot bearing if you don't want to be pulling it apart again.

JMC

EDIT: Google: rebuilt Manual transmissions Look for the M5OD-R2. The 98 model differs from the 99+ so be sure to get the 98.

Last edited by JMC; 01-06-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Help No 5th gear