screech in N or P, and Enging Cranks when in park

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totaly agree, i would rather have it fixed right, so for know your the guy who will guide me .
what is the MLPS/DTR unit.??, i took few apart so not sure which one is.
anyhow the VIn is
1FTZF1728YKB48822
so the 10th Digit is (Y).
I hope this info will help.
the radio and wippers are not working ok , sometime they do sometimes they dont , depend on the minute i started the Truck, because sometimes the wipers work, and the radio too, and sometimes they dont..
I cant understand how can simple circuits been affected ,nd connected with the starter, or if some computer unit is controlling these.
iam waitting on you to guide me

Old 01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Y is 2000. Fix it in your profile to eliminate future confusion.

The diagram I posted above shows the DTR, which is just the new name for the MLPS - they're the same thing.

So, just to recap:
2000 4.2 Liter F150 2WD, 4R70W, 140K miles...
...before i borrowed the car it developed this Problem with the Trany...
...if you moved it to N or P , you will hear a lound screech like its not disengaging and something is spinning...
...the rectanguler switch under the steering colum, the wires to start the engine, I took that unit apart, cleaned it with some fine sand paper, put it back...
I took apart the switch on the Trany , the one hooked up to the Linkage,cleaned sanded, put back.
You're borrowing this truck? Or you borrowed a car while you're working on the truck???

You should replace the ignition switch, too. Never reuse a switch that has been disassembled;especially one as critical as the ig.sw.

Here's the whole circuit, and the whole DTR. If you have an internal OR external short from Gy/R to T/R OR from LB/Pk to T/R, it could produce the symptom you're describing.

Last edited by Steve83; 01-06-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 AM
so its a Y and a 2000 year model, and as you asked me i fixed that in Profile.
When i say a car , that is the Truck , I have the truck and i guess iam Buying it know, .
ok so DTR , might be it.??
why i dont have check engine light ONN.??
why the computer on that truck is that Dumm cant tell if This DTR is not working well, or there is a short.??

By the way , where is the DTR , where is it located.??
under the dash board, ,in the Engine compartment , , I dont have service manuel, or book for this Truck.
so if you can tell me what part number is this DTr , and where located , so i can take a look at it, and check for bad wires.
sincerely

Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 AM
The diagram in post #15 shows the DTR, which is what I said in post #17. But you said you had already worked on it.

The PCM isn't magic, or human. There are limits to what a little box can be designed to diagnose on a vehicle, and it does pretty well overall. But it still takes a human to actually track down the fault, whether there's a code for it or not.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Taking a look at what seems to be happening, maybe try :
1. Start the truck
2. Pull the 15A fuse in position 21 of the Central Junction Box.
3. Test if placing the truck in N or P causes the starter to try spinning.

This should disable the circuit # 1093 which should be the one sending power to the starter motor relay ( the Tan w/ Red stripe ).
Circuit 1093 is the output of the hot in start position fuse #21 circuit #325 ( if I read that correctly ) , via the DTR ( pin 10 via N or P to pin 12 ).

If pulling this fuse still has power on the circuit 1093 at the starter relay, then that almost seems like a DTR that is bridging inside it ( too many pins are made common / i.e. toast ).

If pulling this fuse makes it so the trans can be in N or P without the starter relay kicking on, I would think Ign switch is toast.

Seems like a step, don't know if it makes 100% sense, or if it is fool proof. Just taking a look at the diagrams, seems like an idea to me to try to narrow it down.

Now as for using your ign switch that you sanded on... That might not have been the best idea, and maybe should still be replaced, if the DTR is causing the problem ( still grinds with Fuse #21 pulled ).

The one thing that has me going, is when you start the truck, leaving it in park, does it keep trying to spin the starter ? If not, that seems like a DTR problem. Starting, pull the fuse, and shift through the gears might show this problem, but only if it is not a problem with the DTR closing pin 10 and 12 only after running through the gears ( which looks the same as the ign switch problem ).
Like I said, it is not fool proof, just another data point.
You can also use a 12v bulb / test light / meter for the starter spining, rather then mashing the teeth to check this. A bit of wire, into the cab, with a quick disconnect bullet type splice, and a test light would tell you the same thing, when runnign through the gears.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Is the DTR an electronic unit.??, solid state .??
Because i have no idea what is the DTR unit, still.

I took apart a unit under the steering coloum ,that has a linkage to the ignition key, a peace of metal hooked up from the Key unit to a switch , i dont know what is that called, but its a switch to me.

and i took apart the unit under the Truck , bolted to the Trany Linkage at the Trany and it is anther switch pretty much , nothing electronic, and that one is good too.

so is one of them the DTR.??
if so DTR is good.
so what next guys .
sincerely

Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Steve83 posted a diagram in Post #15 above, with the location of the DTR.
This is the diagram, in case you did not click on it.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...mponents98.jpg

The DTR is the Digital Transmission Range Sensor.

Q1. What test did you do to call it good ?
- correct it is a switch, but "took it apart checked ,cleaned sanded, put back., still the same." is not a test, at least in the text of the post.

Q2. Did you try the suggestion above ?

Need a bit more information when you say you "checked" as to what you really did, and taking something apart and looking at it is not a test, that is a visual inspection, which would only show if it was broken.

At this point, some detailed information from you, is going to be needed.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-08-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM
So the DTR is the switch bolted on the Trany and hooked to the Linkage.

yes i took it apart, drilled through the revits , took it apart, checked the connectors, springs , ,.checked for a wear and tear , shorts, or from over use, ...etc, its not a complicated unit or thing the DTR, if that is the DTR.and i put it back , together, well it should be as new.

what seems to be not ok, is that no one mentioned whats the relationship between the Radio and Trany and wipper,.

as I mentioned when I start the truck all is good radio is working fine , wipers too, then engage in D and radio start going onn and off, untill i drop the volume low then works always., wippers not the same at all.
then if i engage Trany to N or P., indeed the starter is working and grinding the fly wheel.
whats the connectin here scully .??
2. Yes I started the Truck with fuse #21 15 Amp , it starts , took off fuse #21 and Engaged Trany in D then N and starter Kicked in., the P the same Kicked In., D is good or R or 1, 2.

sincerely

Last edited by ford F150; 01-07-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ford F150
...<snip>..yes i took it apart, drilled through the revits , took it apart, checked the connectors, springs , ,.checked for a wear and tear , shorts, or from over use, ...etc, its not a complicated unit or thing the DTR, if that is the DTR.and i put it back , together, well it should be as new....<snip>...
2. Yes I started the Truck with fuse #21 15 Amp , it starts , took off fuse #21 and Engaged Trany in D then N and starter Kicked in., the P the same Kicked In., D is good or R or 1, 2.
That points to a bad DTR to me.
Fuse 21 feeds the starting system to the starter relay,via the DTR.

If you pull the power to the starting system, and it still has power on it, somewhere in the DTR power is making its way to pin 12 ( Tan w/ Red stripe ) inside the DTR.

Steve83 posted this a few posts back :
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/4...rter00f150.jpg

Pin 10 is connected to Fuse #21, and pin 12 is to the starter relay.
The truck needs to have power at pin 10 ( which is hot only in the start position ), which you removed that power source.
Without that fuse in place, even if the truck is in P or N, pin 12 should be dead.
Yours is not, in the test above ( where you confirmed the starter still trys to engage while already running ).

That is what I see from the diagrams, and your information.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-08-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
If you're not going to use the information I'm providing, or even LOOK at the diagrams I'm posting, then you're wasting my time. You have to answer ALL our questions honestly - don't try to appear that you know more than you do, or it'll only cause confusion. When you tell us you "tested" something, we assume you KNOW how to test it, and that you DID test it, and that it passed the test.

If you don't know what you're doing, you need to take the truck to a professional who knows how to diagnose wiring problems, and pay him what he wants.

Otherwise, don't buy a truck with problems.

SSCULLY
Would you edit those back to thumbnails? They're oversizing the page. And if he won't click on them, I don't see where spoonfeeding him is going to help. I'm sorry now that I wasted your time, too. I didn't know he was messing with me.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
..<snip>...SSCULLY
Would you edit those back to thumbnails? They're oversizing the page. And if he won't click on them, I don't see where spoonfeeding him is going to help. I'm sorry now that I wasted your time, too. I didn't know he was messing with me.
Sorry, did not even look at that one when I posted it. That was WAY HUGE !!

No problem on the thread, it was worth a try.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
well thank you guys for the Help.,
I will try to look again at the DTR , maybe buy a new one, hope that is the problem.

again thanks.
sincerely

Quick Reply: screech in N or P, and Enging Cranks when in park