1988 F-150: Gear shift will not move out of park

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 F-150: Gear shift will not move out of park

I have a 1988 F-150 with an automatic transmission that I can not get out of park. I have depressed the brake with the key turned to run and it will still not move out of park. This problem started at the same time the ignition key switch's spring return from start quit working. So in addition to the gear selector not working the truck will not start. This was preceeded by three starts of the truck in which I had to turn the key twice to get it to work. The times it did not work it was like a dead short existed but then upon retrying the truck fired over. When it failed it felt like something broke in the ignition key lock cylinder or in the steering column. I have already changed the key cylinder with no results.

My Chlymers Manual has very little with regard to the steering column and if there are any interlocks between the brake and gear shifting and or starter and if they may be related.

Has anybody seen the before? Are there any good diagrams of the steering column with mechanical and or electrical interlocks?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your actual ignition switch is a few inches below your key tumbler. There is a pot metal piece connecting the two. I suspect this pot metal piece has broken. The Haynes repair manual does a very good job of showing how to replace this pot metal piece. You can start by removing the plastic cowling that surrounds the steering column and inspecting. If I remember right there are 2 screws you remove from the bottom of the plastic cowling to get it off.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A more thorough writeup (with photos) of how to replace the ignition actuators can be found in the Tech Writeups forum on FSB. You can also search up plenty of old threads in the regular forums, including one from just a few days ago.

Quick Reply: 1988 F-150: Gear shift will not move out of park