new clutch, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new clutch, tips?

1990 F-150 2wd

I'll be pulling my trans tomorrow to put in my new clutch kit and flywheel. The last time I did this, it was on a lift with the proper tools (transmission jack, etc.) This time, I'll be putting the truck up on ramps and be using mostly hand tools (although I do have a small compressor that is good for quick shots with the impact gun.)

So any tips for making this job go as smoothly as possible? I've pulled the trans before, so I'm not really looking for instructions, more like tips so I don't end up laying on the floor with the transmission on top of me with the phone just out of reach

By the way, I don't have the tool to disconnect the hydraulic fitting on the slave cylinder. The last time I did it, I was able to get enough clearance to get in there just by moving the trans back enough to the point where it didn't stretch the line too bad. Does anyone think this will be a problem? Like, will I have enough clearance to work while laying on my back as opposed to standing up with the truck overhead?

I plan to use my small 2 ton floor jack with a couple 2x4 pieces of wood to support the transmission while I pull it back from the engine, then I will probably put a couple jack stands under it for support while I work on the clutch.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have a peek at the pic below. The little white plastic collar with the chevron cut out of it pushes against the spring clip on the slave cylinder. This will release the tube. Using two flat screwdrivers to push this collar into the coupling will make it release. You then just pull it off.

Ask the shop where you get the flywheel refaced how much they took off and get a shim of the same thickness and put it between the flywheel and the crank. This will restore the pedal back to the pre clutch job hight.

JMC

Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the tip on the connector, that should make things much easier. i'm going to be putting a new flywheel in. i'm sure the one i have now could be resurfaced, but for a couple extra dollars for the new one, i'd rather be able to do everything at one shot and not have the downtime while waiting for a few days for the shop to do their work.

thanks.

Quick Reply: new clutch, tips?