transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission failure

Very disappointed. My 2005 FX-4 with 24,000 miles needs a new transmission. Without warning it decided to stop going into reverse - no slamming or banging - just sat there as if it was in neutral. Only happened once it was warmed up. Dealer tried a computer reflash without success and had several calls with Ford's tech hot line. Eventually Ford authorized a replacement gearbox - I assume a rebuilt unit. Should get the truck back later this week. Haven't seen any similar problems posted here or in google searches. Anyone heard of similar problems?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by jake1
Very disappointed. My 2005 FX-4 with 24,000 miles needs a new transmission. Without warning it decided to stop going into reverse - no slamming or banging - just sat there as if it was in neutral. Only happened once it was warmed up. Dealer tried a computer reflash without success and had several calls with Ford's tech hot line. Eventually Ford authorized a replacement gearbox - I assume a rebuilt unit. Should get the truck back later this week. Haven't seen any similar problems posted here or in google searches. Anyone heard of similar problems?
sorry to hear about that.

atleast your's is still under warranty.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
OD switch

Just got my truck back. Was given a new transmission under warranty rather than a rebuild. Took almost two weeks but had a free loaner. Everything seems fine, truck shifts better than it ever did - seems to hesitate less in second and third gears. One question. The overdrive button on the console next to the shifter is not lighted. I swear it was before but maybe I'm just crazy. Do your OD buttons light up at night?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jake1
Just got my truck back. Was given a new transmission under warranty rather than a rebuild. Took almost two weeks but had a free loaner. Everything seems fine, truck shifts better than it ever did - seems to hesitate less in second and third gears. One question. The overdrive button on the console next to the shifter is not lighted. I swear it was before but maybe I'm just crazy. Do your OD buttons light up at night?

The OD light should only turn on if 1) you press the O/D cancel switch or 2) the computer turns it on because it has detected a fault.

Consult your owner's manual.

Steve

Old 01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Dang hope that gets fixed without any problems.

Quick Reply: transmission failure