F150 2004 Overdrive is gone, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F150 2004 Overdrive is gone, please help

Hello, I am seeking any help in diagnosing the overdrive problem that just occured tonight. I was already driving for a good half hour when I came to a stop light. The light turned green for me and I took off. When my truck reached about 45mph it just rev'ed up, almost like Overdrive went on vacation. I then turned the Overdrive button off and nursed it home. Once at home, i checked the level's and it seemed a bit low. I added some lucus tranny fluid to it. I drove it around again, but as soon as i reached the time for Overdrive to kick in, up went the RPM's again. Its totally missing, and i have no idea what to look for. This is my 5th ford truck and i've never had any tranny issues ever.
(A little info on my truck)
Lifted 6 inch fabtech suspension with 35 inch tires
45K miles
5.4L
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope to hear from anyone that can help. Take care

Old 12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

So it isn't shifting into 4th weather the OD switch is on or off? The 4R75e is too new of a unit for me personally to know much about *first used on your '04 there*, but sounds like a computer issue. Unless I'm missunderstanding ya.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 PM
It acts as if i pushed in the clutch and floored it. (Its an automatic though)
as soon as it try's to shift into O.D. All the other gears are working great, except O.D.
Thanks for the response btw

Old 12-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you get the tranny serviced at 30k miles? Check the fluid color and see if it smells burnt. A sticking piston in the valve body assembly could cause that or maybe just the solenoid that controls the overdrive in the valve body. If the fluid is dirty and burnt, that could be a sign of valve body contamination and spell the end to your tranny. Most trannys have a overdrive solenoid to control the piston controls.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Most commonly the reatianing clip for the o/d servo piston breaks and falls into the valve body and hangs up the shift valve. It could also have a broken o/d band. If it is just the servo clip it can be fixed in the vehicle. if not you will be looking at removal and disassembly.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Another with the exact same problems and truck

Quick Reply: F150 2004 Overdrive is gone, please help