Plastic tube around shift linkage broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Plastic tube around shift linkage broke

I was changing my heater core today (fun job ) and when we were putting the dash back in, I went to try to make sure the shift indicator was working and realized the whole linkage was loose. It turns out that the plactic tube around the cable for the shift linkage broke in half. My question is I thought I read somewhere on this site that Ford made a repair kit for this. Is this true? If so does anyone have the part number? If not does the whole cable have to be replace? If you know the part number that would help also, because the part guys where I live at Ford can't seem to figure anything out without a part number.

Right now, I have it rigged up where it is working, but it is temporary. I took a piece of aluminum from Home Depot and hose clamps, and wrapped the aluminum around the plactic tube and held in place with three hose clamps (kinda of like a cast on a broken leg). I know though this probably will not last, and could up leaving me stranded not being able to shift.

How hard is it to replace the cable? Easier than replacing a heater core I hope.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your splice will probably last a few years, but those cables should be VERY easy to find in good condition in the local junkyards.

Quick Reply: Plastic tube around shift linkage broke