New Guy! Tranny question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy! Tranny question!

Hi everybody, new guy to the forum but Ford fanatic! I own a 99 F-150 Flareside Regular cab. It has a manual tranny, cai, and flowmasters along with the towing package and off-road package. It also has an XCal 2 dyno-tune and gets about 265 at the wheels.
I crashed it about a month ago after owning it for about 2 years and just got it back from the body shop last Friday. No engine work was done, just some front end stuff.
I noticed something interesting this morning while I was walking out to go to work. I noticed something hangin down below the tranny! So i crawl underneath and there is a rubber tube hanging down. The bottom of the tube is folded up about an inch and zip-tied to itself, looks like a J with a tie around it, but not pinching it off, just holding it together. The tube goes up over the tranny and is zip-tied higher up to the oxygen sensor wiring harness. It then disappears above the tranny. Any ideas what this is supposed to be connected to or what it's for? The only differnce I've noticed since I picked it up last friday is a little hesitation when it starts cold, used to just fire right up, now it burps alittle on cold start-up. Your input is appreciated!!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's your AC drip tube most likley Matt, Mines chopped off and runs pretty close to the trans dipstick tube.

Sounds like your throttle body is getting dirty inside and effecting your IAC controller. I would clean by hand or look up "Seafoam" within the engine forum for the procedure.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks! I'll go run the ac for a while and see if anything drips out, appreciate the fast response! If you have any mustang questions fire away, I've got 4 of them!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey new hampshire matt? im right below you in mass .how the hell do you find time to drive 4 mustangs?? we get what 7 good months? lol i had a 97 z28 couldnt get 5 feet if we got a dusting.anyway welcome to the board

Old 12-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
hey new hampshire matt? im right below you in mass .how the hell do you find time to drive 4 mustangs?? we get what 7 good months? lol i had a 97 z28 couldnt get 5 feet if we got a dusting.anyway welcome to the board
Well, only 2 of them run great, one other runs ok, and the last one sits in pieces! I was driving my 07 up till last week when it was 65, now it's 30 and snowing.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your truck wouldn't happen to be a 4x4 would it?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Your truck wouldn't happen to be a 4x4 would it?
Yes it is!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
JMC

I suspected that it was by your description of the hose. The hose with the Jay in it is most likely the breather tube for the Transfer case or the transmission if you have an automatic. For the t-case it starts at the barb on the front of the t-case and follows the fuel lines above the tranny up to the firewall. It may be spliced into the tranny if you have an automatic. The barb on the tranny is on the top of the tranny driver side. The reason for the bend is so that nothing drains back into the hose causing contamination of the fluid in the t-case.

JMC

Old 12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
I suspected that it was by your description of the hose. The hose with the Jay in it is most likely the breather tube for the Transfer case or the transmission if you have an automatic. For the t-case it starts at the barb on the front of the t-case and follows the fuel lines above the tranny up to the firewall. It may be spliced into the tranny if you have an automatic. The barb on the tranny is on the top of the tranny driver side. The reason for the bend is so that nothing drains back into the hose causing contamination of the fluid in the t-case.

JMC
Ok, from what it sounds like then it isn't supposed to be hooked up anywhere then right? Or did I read that wrong. Truck again is a manual tranny AND a 4x4. I just tucked it up above the tranny support so it isn't hanging down, should I hook it up somewhere? Thanks again and sorry If I'm being a little dense here.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
JMC

make sure that one end is connected to the T-case and that the other end is above the firewall with the end of the j pointing down.

JMC

Quick Reply: New Guy! Tranny question!