Installed Factory Tech Plate, Now Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed Factory Tech Plate, Messed Up, Now Trouble

Tried to change the main title, but it didn't take.

===================

Well, I just got done doing the trans fluid flush and installation of the Factory Tech separator plate.

However, I screwed up and removed the reverse servo assembly instead of the 1-2 accumulator! I don't know what the hell I was thinking (obbviousy I wans't), and would appreciate no comments that I shouldn't have been inside the trans if I didn't know the difference. I got in a hurry and messed up.

OD light is now flashing, and shift from park into reverse is very harsh.

Anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong putting it back together? It looks like I got all the pieces back in OK. What I need to do to make it right?

Or could this be a factor of the new separator plate? 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are a bit firmer than I expected. Would reverse be affected, as well? Installation was done as follows:

plate installed as normal. Brown spring into the upper 1-2 accumulator and remove the spring from the 2-3 accumulator then install it into the lower of the 1-2 accumulator.

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-25-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:59 AM

More food for thought: Seems like the trans has too much pressure at all times. Shifting into reverse or drive from park at idle is more like if I had some RPM going. Also, OD light starts to flash right away, before shifting into gear. Maybe the reverse solenoid has nothing to do with this (and maybe it was the OD solenoid I disassembled, which would have something to do with this if I messed it up somehow). Something else simple/stupid that I overlooked while re-assembling?

Man, I don't want to tear this thing apart again!

Andy

(...and yes I'm a bit embarrassed.)

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-26-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 AM

(Double post)

Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM

Resolved!

Well, I got to thinking about the problem in the wee hours of this morning, and thought... OK. Seems like the pressure's too high, and it's affecting forward gears as well as reverse. What could cause the pressure to be too high?..... Well, guess what happens when you don't fully seat the connector for the EPC.

Glad it wasn't something major. Check those connectors on re-installation, boys and girls!

Andy

Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Well, I got to thinking about the problem in the wee hours of this morning, and thought... OK. Seems like the pressure's too high, and it's affecting forward gears as well as reverse. What could cause the pressure to be too high?..... Well, guess what happens when you don't fully seat the connector for the EPC.

Glad it wasn't something major. Check those connectors on re-installation, boys and girls!

Andy

Haha , funny you should mention that - if your talking about the big rectangle to square looking plug , opposite side of trans from the range sensor then I can relate . There was so much crud on that side before I pulled my trans that I didn't see that big plug right off. I can see how you might have had some foreign matter in the way of things $%$#@!$%... ... Freakin a right, Glad yuh gotter , how she shiftin? I think I may have a fix for mine finally , man I hope so . The trans that was to replace my current had a price tag of 3,400-US GreenBacks - I didn't want to mess around - Heck I can think of allot other things I'd rather do with that cashola , crossin my digits on that one.

HO HO Hell, might be a great Christmas after all :santa:

Last edited by jbrew; 11-27-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat

Andy
Andy,

I am having the exact problem as you did. Which connectors are you talking about? did you take the pan back out? How did it shift after you corrected the problem? Man, I need serious help, my shifts are really harsh at all rpm's. I get the OD light blinking and and "FAULT TRANS" message.

Thanks
Flavio.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:16 PM

I pulled the pan again, and seated the black plastic connectors. The EPC solenoid connector is #3 below. (Press on them all to insure they're tight.)

Shifting after this was corrected is beautiful! Just like Ford should have done from the factory IMO. I think they are trying to cater to people who buy trucks and expect them to drive like a car rather than those of us who bought the thing because it's a truck!

Hope you get it fixed alright. Good luck!

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 01-13-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Andy,

Mine is a 4R75E, but I guess it`s similar and I will give it a shot tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much for the help.

Flavio.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 AM
SOLVED ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

Thanks Andy for your tips. Sure enough, there was loose connection . Pushed it in, assembled everything back up, and ... beautifulˇˇˇ

Thanks again.. this is a great and very helpful forum.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Good deal! Glad I could help, Favio!

Andy

Old 01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, guess what... I was happily going through the gears and all of a sudden, the trans started kind of like slipping. Then I lost reverse, and got code 731 and 732 (wrong first and second gear ratio, respectively). Now the truck barely moves in drive, like it`s starting out in second or third gear.

Now I am worried, and I have to work tomorrow. Should I just take it to the dealer? anything I can do myself? thanks for all the help you can provide...

Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Man, that's too bad! I'm no tranny expert by any means, but I'm wondering of this could have something to do with the torque converter?

Best to start a new post on the subject with as many details as you can provide. Someone else will know more about this that I, and maybe they will be able to give you some guidance.

Good luck!

Andy

Quick Reply: Installed Factory Tech Plate, Now Trouble