What tranny to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tranny to get?

I have a 2001, F150 XLT 7700 Series and the transmission as been making some chattering noise sometimes when it shifts into overdrive. Had it serviced about 20k miles ago it quit chattering but it came back. I had a '91 150 did the same exact thing before it went out. So what would be a good tranny to replace mine with, not looking for a rebuild one but a brand new one. Any advice from you folks, would be most appreciated.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It is impossible to get a brand new unit even from Ford.

Just for the fun of it I totalled up the parts one day and it was over $6k at my wholesale prices to get everything to build a complete new unit. That doesn't include the labor to assemble it.

Why does it have to be a new unit?

Darrin

Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just would like a new one rather than a rebuild one. In a magazine it said that TCI had some really good transmissions for trucks. I love my truck and try to take care of it the best I can since the 7700's are rare. Plus I can get any part for any vehicle at cost. Any suggestions. Peace

Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tennessee fella
I just would like a new one rather than a rebuild one. In a magazine it said that TCI had some really good transmissions for trucks. I love my truck and try to take care of it the best I can since the 7700's are rare. Plus I can get any part for any vehicle at cost. Any suggestions. Peace
If you get me a fax number I can fax you a copy of the parts list to build one. There are a bunch of parts that you have to get to build one though and its very costly. Like I said, I priced it at over $6k and I get an awesome price on Ford parts.

Again, you cannot buy a brand new Ford transmission from any source, even from Ford. They only sell remanufactured units just like everyone else. TCI does not manufacture new transmissions. Nobody except for Ford makes them and they only go into new vehicles. Thus, the only way to buy a new Ford transmission is in a new Ford vehicle.

Now, if you want a well built aftermarket transmission, look on page 160 of the January edition of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. It should be on the stands in the next couple of weeks.

Darrin

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yup, you can build a 4R100 to take even a souped up 7.3L, all ya need is $$$.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: What tranny to get?