Clutch Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Repair Questions

Hello
I have a 1994 Ford F-150. It has a 4.9 six and a 5 speed manual transmission. I had a shop repair my shifter and put a new clutch in it while they had the transmission out. We put the 11” clutch in it. I have two questions. First, is there a need for the Baffle (Or whatever it’s called) that is in the slave cylinder reservoir? Second, Is there any way to adjust the pedal so that the clutch engages at say mid travel instead of at the end of the travel? The Shop appears to have done a good job …..Well I have seen a little fluid seeping out of the tail shaft seal but I am wafting to see if it will seal up on its own.

Thank you
Allen Ehlers

Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Any Ideas? The Baffle that I am talking about is a cone shaped rubber piece that fits into the reservoir. Kinda like that older master brake cylinders

Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
There is no way to adjust the clutch itself to change the engagement point. You can check at the top of the pedal to see if there is any adjustment on the Master cylinder push rod, which would allow you to lower your pedal height. If you can (or if you modify the rod length to achieve the same result) you need to pay attention to the total travel of the pedal needed to achieve clutch dis-engagement. i.e., if you drop your pedal 1 inch, you need 1" of available "Dead-travel" at the bottom of the pedal before it hits the floor.

Not sure about the baffle - I suspect is only to keep the fluid from sloshing around, creating bubbles...probably not a big deal if you lose it, but why get rid of it?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not a baffle - it's a diaphragm that allows the fluid to move, but doesn't allow it to come in contact with the air that has to move into & out of the reservoir. It's just like the one on the brake reservoir - only smaller.

Yes, the pedal is adjustable, but not by the pushrod. You have to remove the clutch shaft lever & install a new one, according to a VERY specific procedure. The process aligns the pedal by cutting splines into the new lever. You can read more about it in the captions of the pics near the bottom of this page.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
internal slave cylinder

I believe all the 5 speeds have the internal slave cylinder which is part of the throwout bearing and of course self-adjusting. I would think you will soon get used to the engagement point.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Both internal & external slaves self-adjust for clutch disk wear, but the pedal adjustment is totally different. The system won't even work if the pedal is too far off.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Thumbs up

It's all working fine now. The shop put the diaphragm back in and fixed the tail-shaft seal. Apparently there was a service bulletin that said to remove the diaphragm on these trucks. What they didn't see was that that bulletin was for 1 tons and up. My F-150 still requires it made a big deference in the feel and smoothness of the pedal. I am getting used to the new 11" clutch now. If y'all get your clutch done and you can go with a bigger clutch, by all means do it!
Again....Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Clutch Repair Questions