Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifter Problem

Hello
My truck has developed a problem with the shifter. It has a lot of play in it. I have a 1994 F-150 4.9 Six, 5 speed manual trans. I was towing the boat to the lake and in the morning and it shifted normally. I went to load the boat in the afternoon and the shifter felt funny. I have towed the same boat for four years now and haven’t had any problems. On the way home it had a lot of play going into third and fifth. Once I found the right spot it goes into gear fine. It seems to be getting worse. What would cause it to do this all of the sudden? I think it’s time for a trip to the transmission shop as I am not strong enough to drop the transmission myself any more…Bad Back
Thank you
Allen Ehlers

Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe third and fourth share the same shift fork. The locking pins may be loose or bent. The shift fork may be worn. Time to pull it apart and have a look see

JMC

Old 11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks JMC
I have it in the shop now and the shifting plate where the shifter attaches to the trans is worn out. Guess there are some bushings in there. They are also going replace the clutch,pressure plate, Slave cylinder and rear main seal. #1100.00 doesn’t sound to bad for all that

Quick Reply: Shifter Problem