Trans Acting Funny PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Acting Funny PLEASE HELP!

help someone!!! I just purchased a 95 f150 4X 5.0. 151,000 miles, new motor with 30,000 on it. The Truck i always wanted. Well The only problem is.. My trans feels like it has to wind out too long to shift gears. From 1 st to 2nd, it takes a heavy foot to make the truck shift shift smooth, and it shifts at about 3800rpm, from 2nd and 3rd is what really bothers me. I almost have to punch it to 60mph or more to get enough speed to shift, again up to 3800rpm it takes to shift. If i dont punch it the rpm will drop to about 2100 when i let off the gas, and when i push the gas it will jump to about 3200. It feels like when you drive a manual trans and u keep it in a lower gear and go fast then let off and go again. Same feeling. There isnt any jerking or anything but it really bugs me. I feel like im burning up too much gas and also my trans. I think the guy said they had put a new cam shaft in it when i bought it , could that be the problem? Either way how would i fix it. Do i have to change my shift points or am i screwed. I tried getting the fluids changed and the filter. Got the trans fluid changed with mercon V and also the differentials topped off. If anyone has the right answer to my problem, please help. Im starting to be a very concerned ford owner. Thankyou

Old 11-05-2006, 03:45 PM
What trans do you have?

Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Trans type

Im almost positave i have the E30D . Its an automatic, 5.0 4x4 1995 Also it feels like the throttle sticks or something b/c when i start going i could be going like 30 and i let off the gas and for the rest of the road it keeps the same speed until it feels like it downshifts or something on those lines

Old 11-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Now codes

I took advice from the guy at pepboys and bought a decoder and a haynes service manual for a 95 f150 4x4 5.0. The great thing is that the decoder actually tells you codes of whats wrong. Unfortunately i had to settle for the base model (the one with the flashing red light) instead of a digital screen. I tried getting a digital one but my truck just misses it by 1 year . It does up to 96 well i have a 95 so either spend 300 bux on a digital one or spend thirty on elcheapo and count beeps. So i counted the beeps and it looks like i have a code #12 . when i look up 12 in my code book, it says "system cannot raise engine speed above normal idle". What the heck does that mean? I spent a few hours lookin thru my hayes manual but that thing is almost as good as a childrens book, hardly has anything i could use in it the index is terriable. Will someone please help me get the answers to my problem, your knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
MrKool,

I replied to you in the 97 and older forum.

You MUST get that Mercon V fluid out of the E4OD! It has special friction modifiers that will destroy the tranny. Flush it out good and put straight Mercon in it.

I also had some tranny problems with my '93 and cleaning the EGR valve fixed it all up. It was giving erroneous signals to the tranny, causing it to shift crazy. Mine was completely clogged up. Do a search on the forum for cleaning EGR. Its easy and will probably help you out.

Also, if your throttle feels like its sticking, try cleaning the Idle Air Control (IAC). That is another area that causes frequent problems. Do a search for cleaning IAC. You should also clean your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Do a search for cleaning TPS. I think there is even a step by step on that one. Its located on the bottom of the throttle body and can get gummed up causing throttle problems.

AGAIN.......get that Mercon V out of the tranny!

good luck and post your results,
-Glade

Last edited by GLADESTEEN; 11-05-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Thankyou very much glade i will post as soon as i get things done and tell everyone how it worked out

Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
You didn't need a decoder to read codes ont hat vehicles. Just connect the pigtail to the top right wire of the eecIV connector and turn the key on it will flash codes through the check engine light. Won't tell you much about the transmission however.
Alan

Old 11-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I am such an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I had someone read the code for me off the door jam and i took thier word for it. My trans is code U So i guess that the trans i told you that i had was wrong its not the E40D its the 40r70w. Can you believe it.. Either way its making some problems for me, so if anyone can help that can relate than please do so!! I also need directions on how to clean the tps, erg and the iac valve

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

Old 11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
MrKool,

Here you go for the EGR, TPS and IAC.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php

I bet if you clean those up, your problems will get better.

-Glade

Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
man im sorry im new to this posting thing and im not too sure how to work it. When i type in cleaning tps or whatever in search it brings up a bunch of ones that have nothing to do with it and i can see my posts on there as well. Im not doing it right am i? Plz help

Quick Reply: Trans Acting Funny PLEASE HELP!