1983 F100 to 1989 Automatic tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 F100 to 1989 Automatic tranny swap

I have a 1983 F100 with a 3-speed on the column manual transmission. I want to upgrade it to an automatic transmission and have purchased a 1989 F150 with a good automatic transmission. My problem is that the 1989 transmission has electrical connectors on the transmission that connect to the EEC module. Is using this transmission out of the question or can I just connect it to the 1989's computer and wiring harness for just the transmission, and ONLY connect up the transmission to it. I have a wiring diagram for everything, but since my 1983 F100 doesn't have all the engine monitoring sensors on it, I assume this will not work as no signals will be getting to the computer to tell the transmission what to do. Any advice? Is there a way to modify this transmission to make it work?

Thanks in advance, Jim

(Edit) Oops...I forgot to mention both these trucks have 5.0 L engines, except of course the 83 is carbureted and the 89 is EFI (and in need of a rebuild...lol).

Also, in the past few minutes I have found a possible solution, albeit a bit pricey. Has anyone ever heard of the Baumannator TCS? It is a stand-alone controller for automatic transmissions. I have also discovered a link on adding a TPS to a carburetor.

Last edited by Shadetree83; 10-31-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In '89 the transmission was not computer controlled. There were connections to the engine computer so that it knew if the trans was in gear or not. You should be able to make this work just fine without a computer. Setting the TV cable correctly is critical.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by casey_1
In '89 the transmission was not computer controlled.
Not quite, the E4OD was available in '89 and is computer controlled.

Shadetree, does the '89 have an overdrive lockout switch on the dash? If so it is the E4OD.

Originally Posted by Shadetree83
Is using this transmission out of the question or can I just connect it to the 1989's computer and wiring harness for just the transmission, and ONLY connect up the transmission to it.
If it is the E4OD your kinda SOL. Many have had no problem using an EEC to just run the engine after ditching the E4OD for a stick, but I don't think you can go the other way. You would be the first I've heard of such a swap not using EFI.

One obstacle I see right off the bat is that the E4OD uses the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal from the rear axle (an 8.8, 9.75, 10.25, or 10.5) and not your 9" to know when to shift.

We have the three on the tree in the '66 and '71 and honestly haven't seen one in a '80+ truck. Can you get a picture for me of the shifter?

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Not quite, the E4OD was available in '89 and is computer controlled.
The E4OD was not available with the 302 in '89.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Hello again and many thanks for your replies. I just bought the '89 and have jumped the gun on the tranny ID. After reading on this site last night for hours, I learned to ID transmissions using the trans codes, and thankfully it isn't the E4OD in this truck...it is the AOD...trans code: T. I would have liked a C6, but at least I will have a light duty automatic. I am rebuilding my 1983 and as mentioned before, am looking to use all the parts off this truck that I can, including this transmission. This website is entirely helpful... !

Concerning the TV cable....I will be using this setup with an Edelbrock Performer intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock carb. Are there any helpful hints someone out there might have on making the correct adjustments? What are the towing capacities for this AOD? Rest assured I will continue to read on this site for more information!

We have the three on the tree in the '66 and '71 and honestly haven't seen one in a '80+ truck. Can you get a picture for me of the shifter?
Yes I will get a picture for you soon of the column and shifter. I have never been a fan of this tranny, but I must admit it has a good "highway" punch to it...hehe. The wifey has been wanting me to fix this '83 up for awhile, so the project is underway. I will be sandblasting the frame tomorrow in preparation for the paint. I love a good project!

Thanks again Adrianspeeder and Casey_1!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Update:

I have found information on retrofitting an AOD for use with a carburated vehicle at:

hxxp://www.becontrols.com/tech/tvlinkage.htm (change xx to tt)

I wasn't sure of this site's rules on live links, but it usually is a good idea NOT to post them anyway. This site has some information on carburetor/AOD applications as well as other transmission types. It is mostly just basic questions/answers, but may help a few as it did me.

Retrofitting

For Retrofitting an AOD to a carbureted application we reccomend the following cable and bracket manufactured by Lokar.

Cable: KD2AODHT
Bracket: SRK4000

If you are retrofitting to a fuel injected engine, factory Ford cable and levers should be used if possible.
I have emailed Lokar for pricing.

Originally posted by Casey_1
You should be able to make this work just fine without a computer. Setting the TV cable correctly is critical.
As Casey_1 mentions, I have read it can mean the life or death of your AOD transmission.

I have more reading to do...

Be back soon.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Ok, AOD is doable no problem.

Did some more reading Casey and have found that the E4OD was with the 302 in the F-150, but not Bronco in '89. When I find an example truck I'll post.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Here are a couple of pics of that shifter.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I would have opted for a near bullet-proof C-6 adding a shift kit...the E40D is not the most dependable of transmissions especially one that old...make sure you add a trans cooler.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by ExPartsMan
I would have opted for a near bullet-proof C-6 adding a shift kit...the E40D is not the most dependable of transmissions especially one that old...make sure you add a trans cooler.
I am still looking around for a good C-6 for a small block, but they are hard to find. I mentioned in post #5 that I originally thought I had an E4OD only to find it was actually a trans code: T AOD. I have just discovered that this AOD may need a rebuild as well. I know nothing about rebuilding or even diagnosing transmission problems, hence the reason I am glad I found this site. Since I am on the subject of a rebuild, can anyone recommend a GOOD rebuild kit with all the right parts (not ALTO clutches, etc.)?
I am not sure yet what would be the best clutches and what-not to go with, but I have read many places Alto are the bottom of the barrel. If I decide to rebuild this one or have it rebuilt (I work with a guy who rebuilds on the side), I want to use quality components. I decided on a rebuild after I pulled the cab and bed off; I noticed the drive-shaft looked like it was about an inch to two inches too short on
my parts truck. This must have been a problem before with this truck, because the tailpiece on the tranny had three bolts that were only finger tight as if someone had worked on it before and just patched it up. The rear spline was awfully loose and worn like. You know...too much play back and forth. I then proceeded to pull the engine/tranny from the frame and decided to separate the engine/tranny and see what I had to work with. Now, as I say, I have limited experience with automatic transmissions, but please correct me if I am wrong here...when you separate the engine from the tranny, should the center spline (inner overdrive shaft?) pull OUT and stay with the torque converter? When I saw it was coming out I reached up and caught it before it hit the concrete, and noticed it looked scored on the tranny end where it looks like there may have been some type of keeper or something on there. Anyway, I pushed the spline back in and it seated itself. I then proceeded to turn the shaft by hand to see if it was at least turning and it made a squealing sound in every gear except park of course...lol. Now... do any experts or even "not-so" experts have any hints, tips, tricks, advice, on what my next move should be? I bought the retrofitting parts for the TV cable from Lokar I mentioned above. Actually I got the parts off Ebay, but Lokar was extremely helpful and sent me all the info I needed to install it as well as the suggested retail price of the TV cable and bracket assembly. They suggested I shop around for better pricing as they were the distributor . How great is that? Anyway, I appreciate all the help I can get on this as well as the help I have already received.

Last edited by Shadetree83; 11-03-2006 at 11:54 PM. Reason: more detail of problem added
Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I know where a couple are...in a truck wrecking yard in L. A.

Shipping might be a bit high, tho.

Driveshaft play caused by rear end lash...

Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Great News! I found myself a C-6 transmission in a Mach 1 Mustang. The owner of the car put a C-6 in his 'Stang, but wasn't happy with it. It seems it was for a truck and the linkage didn't work correctly, so he told me I could have it if I pulled it out for him so he could start over. It is supposed to be a good one too. I hear these things are tough and just what I am needing. He only asks that I be "nice" to his "baby". Heck, I'll give it a wash and wax after I am done.

It looks like I need to buy a book on rebuilding transmissions, some tranny tools, and rebuild that AOD in my spare time. It will be a nice learning experience at least.

Sweet!

Last edited by Shadetree83; 11-06-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Ummm......that C-6 turned out to be an FMX (14 pan bolts, cast iron case, removable bell). I hope I can still find type F fluid...lol. They DO still make it don't they?

Here is a picture of the FMX:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=12347

Last edited by Shadetree83; 11-08-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Dang, I've never seen one, but F is all over around here.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the help!

I have another question for you. I installed the transmission, and changed the filter and pan gasket. Now I want to put a transmission fluid cooler in between the tranny and radiator. Can anyone tell me which of the two ports on the transmission itself is the outlet and which is the inlet (return)? One port is at the back and the other is right behind the bell. This would help me a great deal. Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply: 1983 F100 to 1989 Automatic tranny swap