SCREW Dealerships...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCREW Dealerships...

To SAVE some time before I moved up to Illinois I decided to take my truck in for the 100K checkup (I was actually only at 95K). I told them to go ahead and replace my diff fluid with some fresh stuff (syn of course) and why not go ahead and slap some new manual tranny fluid in there. I drive up (truck seems aight the whole trip up) and park in my nice new underground space. My truck sits except for going to the grocery store and the temp in the garage never goes below 65 degrees. So I decide to take a peek at her tonight and discover a puddle underneath the truck. I roll her out of the space and start inspecting. A mild oil leak inbetween the block and the tranny; typical on most 100K cars but you think they would have mentioned something about my rear main seal leaking. Oh well it's time for a new clutch anyway. I glance down the body of the tranny and notice its damp. Initially I assumed this was residual oil but after further investigation discovered that my fill bolt for the tranny was leaking... NOT only was it leaking but it unscrewed with less than a one foot lbs. of torque. Now... I know it has been three months and a 1400 miles 1250 of which are from the drive up but doesn't the dealership hold any responsibility for that? I don't know for sure but I can imagine the torque rating on that bolt exceeds 20 foot lbs. which is far more than my fingers giving a mere twist. Opinions? I'm calling the dealership tomorrow morning... I NEVER take my car in for others to work on because I don't trust anyone to do a good job; its not their vehicle so why should they care? This is why I spent years ****ing up my own vehicles learning how to work on them... Guess that's what I get then huh? Sorry... I needed to vent...

Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't torque it down, just "nice'n'tight" with an adjustable wrench. Perhaps they didn't replace the aluminum crush washer. But anyway, there shouldn't be fluid above the fill plug, as thats the max level for the tranny.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: SCREW Dealerships...