1994 F150 w/ 5.0 aod ECU/TCM Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F150 w/ 5.0 aod ECU/TCM Question

Sorry for first post this is my dads truck and I'm trying to help him out a little bit. I need to know if the 94 5.0 F150 w/ aod has a tcm or if the transmission controls are in the ECU?
I know the 94 Explorer it was built into the ECU and just want to make sure I believe the tcm/ecu is going out and just needed some quick tips.

What the truck is doing is, Anywhere from 20-80mph it "feels" like it slips out of gear and revs up then as quickly as it happened you hear what sounds like the drivetrain slam against the rear differential. Apparently this has been going on a long time because I was just informed that they had the transmission rebuilt 2 years ago and they had it checked by a different transmission place 6months after. No one has determined the problem, I just found out about it so I haven't really been able to determine anything else.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll try to post back to update if I find anything else out.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy, just like your exploder the main computer controls the tranny. Also not an AOD, check the trans code on the door jam and U is the 4R70w and E is the E4OD.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
thank you kindly good sir
Now gotta go grab an ECU to slap in there, thanks again!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Very important to get the exact computer. '94 had a lot of choices with three tranny choices and the 5.0 could be speed density or mass air flow. Might wanna do some reading at www.fordfuelinjection.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you spend a few hundred $$$ on a new PCM you'll find it made no difference.
Next, change the TRS. That's the Transmission Range Sensor, also called the Manual Lever Position Sensor, and also called the nuetral safety switch. That's the real problem here.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by casey_1
After you spend a few hundred $$$ on a new PCM you'll find it made no difference.
Next, change the TRS. That's the Transmission Range Sensor, also called the Manual Lever Position Sensor, and also called the nuetral safety switch. That's the real problem here.
To be sure, focus the self test procedure in the link I posted above ZA.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A big problem with the TRS is that it won't set any codes until it completely fails. It can cause these symptoms for a couple YEARS before the sensor gets bad enough to set a code.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:03 PM
thank you thank you thank you
Can't say it enough, BIG help.
I'll do some of the test from that link and probally go ahead and change the ECU and TRS out. I think I can get the TRS for free and the ECU I have someone telling me 50 bucks or so, so I'll probally do both at the same time just because I rarely have time to make it over to my parents.

Thank you guys so much

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 w/ 5.0 aod ECU/TCM Question