99 expedition trans oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 expedition trans oil change

Well, hello everyone.

Yesterday i got a 1999 Expedition XLT with the 4.6 triton V8 engine, it has around 73,000 miles, the guy that i bought it from was the first owner, and told me he never knew anything about changing the transmission oil, well, the truck feels fine, no slips, no whinning noises, it just shifts right.

the oil is kinda dirty, like a bit brown, im not sure what to do, should i change the oil? i took it to some guy that fixes transmissions to do the oil change, he checked the oil, and recomended me not to do it, cause it may start slipping and stuff, so he told me to wait until the transmission breaks down. how true is that??? should i or shouldnt i do the oil change. thank you.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Elvis_Presley
Well, hello everyone.

Yesterday i got a 1999 Expedition XLT with the 4.6 triton V8 engine, it has around 73,000 miles, the guy that i bought it from was the first owner, and told me he never knew anything about changing the transmission oil, well, the truck feels fine, no slips, no whinning noises, it just shifts right.

the oil is kinda dirty, like a bit brown, im not sure what to do, should i change the oil? i took it to some guy that fixes transmissions to do the oil change, he checked the oil, and recomended me not to do it, cause it may start slipping and stuff, so he told me to wait until the transmission breaks down. how true is that??? should i or shouldnt i do the oil change. thank you.

Thats a potential 2500 RISK. Drop the Pan yourself and Change the AT filter and replace with Proper ATF - SHOWN HERE http://cerberus.cowgod.org/tsb06-14-04.pdf Once you do a Pan off w/Filter change the next service can be done by flushing it.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Just have it professionally flushed. DOnt even bother dropping the pan, its not necassary anymore with new flush machines. It was due at 60K miles, so you are only 13K overdue, which isn't bad like I have seen others do.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:30 AM
well, today i was looking at the service manual and theres no oil change scheduled on it, i looked at 30,000 miles, then 60,000 miles and nothing, so i was like wtf, so i called my ford dealer, and told me not to change the oil, cause its made to last forever, im confused, its a 99 4.6 triton v8 expedition, what should i do, change it, or not....

Old 10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
well, today i was looking at the service manual and theres no oil change scheduled on it, i looked at 30,000 miles, then 60,000 miles and nothing, so i was like wtf, so i called my ford dealer, and told me not to change the oil, cause its made to last forever, im confused, its a 99 4.6 triton v8 expedition, what should i do, change it, or not....

Yeah and my Broken R4100 was Suppose to be Bullet proof and its having shift problems and thats after 2 Fluid changes. ATLEAST do what Navi98 said and take it o a shop and have it flushed...Not sure that dealer will pay for a Out of wrty repair off "cause its made to last forever" Its worth the money to get it flushed even if you go back with reg. fluid

Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 AM
and thats not it!!, man i cant believe it, on the service manual, it sais that i have to use Mercon ATF, and on the transmission oil measuring stick, it sais USE ONLY MERCON V, i told my father to do the oil change, and he doesnt want to do it anymore, cause the ford dealer told him not to!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Use a Mercon V approved fluid, Ford is discontinuing the Mercon rating anyway. Opinions will vary on the type of service you should have preformed and with 73K on the unit you should have one preformed.

Drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, refill the transmission. This will get you a new filter but only about 5 quarts of new fluid. If you go this route repeat every 15-30K. Costs around $100 at the dealer.

Flush or fluid exchange the fluid. This will get all new fluid but no new filter. I appreciate that there is some disagreement on these boards as to wether or not the transmission filter needs to be replaced at all. Personally, I like changed.

Change filter and flush or exchange the fluid. This is the entire job, new filter and all new fluid. Around $200 at the dealer but IMHO only needs to repeated every 50-60K.

I had a pan drop, filter change done at the dealer (just to messy for my new garage) and regularly replace 3-4 quarts using a hand pump to remove fluid from the pan. Using Mobil 1 fluid.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelers
Use a Mercon V approved fluid, Ford is discontinuing the Mercon rating anyway. Opinions will vary on the type of service you should have preformed and with 73K on the unit you should have one preformed.

Drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, refill the transmission. This will get you a new filter but only about 5 quarts of new fluid. If you go this route repeat every 15-30K. Costs around $100 at the dealer.

Flush or fluid exchange the fluid. This will get all new fluid but no new filter. I appreciate that there is some disagreement on these boards as to wether or not the transmission filter needs to be replaced at all. Personally, I like changed.

Change filter and flush or exchange the fluid. This is the entire job, new filter and all new fluid. Around $200 at the dealer but IMHO only needs to repeated every 50-60K.

I had a pan drop, filter change done at the dealer (just to messy for my new garage) and regularly replace 3-4 quarts using a hand pump to remove fluid from the pan. Using Mobil 1 fluid.
With a 99, he should be able to drain the torque converter. I know they stopped putting the drain in the TC on the F150 in 02. I would assume the 99 Expy still has the drain.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:23 AM
ok, i think i will do the oil and the filter change, r u sure that the trans wont start slipping???

Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
No the transmission will not start slipping. Make sure you use a Mercon V fluid, its more heat tolerant and will help prevent torque converter shudder. Multi-vehicle fluids are fine as long as they are Mercon V rated. Some cheapo shops want to put old school Mercon and then and additive to turn it into Mercon V, don't do it. Synthetics such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Redline have an excellent reputation for longevity and cleanliness but cost 2-3 times more than a part synthetic such as Valvoline, Castrol or Supertech.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:48 AM
ok, ill do it, should i do the whole flush, or just change filter and oil, theres a friend offering me a flush, with filter, and full synthetic oil for 100 bucks.

just to clear things out, my expedition has 73000 miles, the trans oil is somehow brown with red, i just want to feel 100% sure that im not going to ******* it up, am i still in the safe mileage zone for changing the oil.

thank you so much.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I changed the fluid and filter on a taurus with 150K for the first time 6 months ago with no problems. Shifts perfect.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Run the flush. It'll run you $100 or so and will change 98% of your fluid. Nowadays, there are many trannies on the market that the filter cannot even be changed in. That shows a growing trend toward not messing with opening a tranny up unless absolutely necassary

Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, ill do it, should i do the whole flush, or just change filter and oil, theres a friend offering me a flush, with filter, and full synthetic oil for 100 bucks.
If you have someone offering to do the full job for $100 including synth fluid, (and they're reputable) take them up on it! Regular fluid and a filter cost me nearly $80. I'd easily pay $20 for someone else to get themselves dirty.

Andy

Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
If you have someone offering to do the full job for $100 including synth fluid, (and they're reputable) take them up on it! Regular fluid and a filter cost me nearly $80. I'd easily pay $20 for someone else to get themselves dirty.

Andy
you said it, but do something. I've changed my own 3 times now and after each time it only shifts etc. better, plus piece of mind. The owners manual says to do it at 30k, do it, no different than engine oil, just needs longer between and costs more. It's just a good idea.

Quick Reply: 99 expedition trans oil change