4X4 - Now Working!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 - Now Working!

Just got back from the Ford "Stealer" about getting my non-working 4WD diagnosed, on my '02 FX4. I had them check the vacuum lines and the solenoids. They checked out fine, but the technician could only get it to go into 4WD by "using some pliers on the pistons", and commented that it was corroded.

If I have a new 4WD "motor" put in, that, and labor is gonna cost me around $300. I told them that I'd have to get back to them (looking for a 2nd opinion).
Got home and decided to try it in 4WD by first going into 4WD Lo, by putting the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake.

Guess what....? Yup, I'm able to go into 4WD Lo! Drive a bit, then decide to try it in 4WD Hi. Again, put my foot on the brake and shift into neutral, then turn the **** to 4WD Hi, and yup...it works! It did take about a 1/4 mile of driving to get it to return to 2WD, but hey, it's working!

Any comments?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
similar problem...maybe

I have an 03 F150 supercrew 4x4. I had a trailer brake installed...a few weeks later I tried to engage 4x4 and the in dash selector does nothing, no lights, nothing.

I have tried a few times and it doesn't work. I spoke to the trailer guys who installed the brake and they explained that they dont touch anything to do with 4x4. They wire the brake into the factory supplied plug and thats it.

any clues? Is there a fuse for the 4x4 shift. could not see one...??

Quick Reply: 4X4 - Now Working!