E40D - Delay going into forward gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E40D - Delay going into forward gears?

I have a 1996 F150 with a 4.9L and an E4OD. When I put it into drive (or 2, or 1), there is a 3-4 second delay before the transmission engauges. It engauges fine, not harsh. Once in gear it drives fine, and doesn't slip at all. Going into revese feels normal.

It has done this since the day I bought it about a month ago. I've tried changing the transmission fluid, and nothing changed. Does anybody out there have any ideas as to why I have the delay going into forward gears?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Sounds like its low on fluid. DOes it have any other shifting issues? Maybe an incorrect tranny stick showing full but a little low?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 AM
start shopping

had this problem too, had tranny rebuilt.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by sdilecce
I have a 1996 F150 with a 4.9L and an E4OD. When I put it into drive (or 2, or 1), there is a 3-4 second delay before the transmission engauges. It engauges fine, not harsh. Once in gear it drives fine, and doesn't slip at all. Going into revese feels normal.

It has done this since the day I bought it about a month ago. I've tried changing the transmission fluid, and nothing changed. Does anybody out there have any ideas as to why I have the delay going into forward gears?
Time to rebuild...and you aren't the only one...this problem has existed since 1980.

Here's a hint...stay out of O/D in heavy stop and go traffic. In O/D in these conditions, the trans is constantly searching between D and O/D...heat is the enemy...the trans will eventually overheat and burn up.

Whatever you do...add an outside trans cooler...that will help.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you can do the MT Pockets trick. Take a shot glass, Fill it up about 3/4 Of the way with CLEAN brake fluid. (E4OD Is a monster tranny, 3/4 Is perfect) Carefully pour it into the transmission dipstick with a CLEAN funnel. What this does is swells the seals inside the transmission, making it shift and perform like a whole different truck. That crap you buy from parts stores (Lucas, Shift-Eaze) Is a whole lot of bull. They contain about 1/8 brake fluid in those bottles, with some tranny fluid and extra gunk. Ask around this site if your uncomfortable with this. You'll be surprised.

Quick Reply: E40D - Delay going into forward gears?