Transmission Software Updates??!!

Old 10-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Software Updates??!!

I recently had transmission trouble with my 05 SuperCab 4x4. It has 43K miles and the extended warranty. Ford said that I needed a software update for my transmission for it to be fixed. Under the extended warranty this has a deductable of $100.

Has this happened to anyone else???

Secondly.. Why the hell are they charging me for this?? Ford recognizes that their tranny has a flaw, so they make updates to fix it. This sounds very funky!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Software improvements are made all the time. How many Windows updates are there? Just because Ford reconizes that things could have been done better and makes a correction, does not automatically mean that they are liable for the expense of installing the update. They are not trying to fix a flaw, they likely have developed better software the does a better job of controlling the transmission

They fullfilled their written warranty. What you now have is a service agreement (complete with a deductible), not a warranty. Had the problem developed during the term of the warranty, it would have been corrected as part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty just as any other failure would have been.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a few transmission shift quality concerns that are fixed with calibration updates. What problems are you having exactly?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 AM
There is a TSB for this problem. You should tell the dealer he needs to fix it for free since Ford knows this is a problem on '04 and early 05's. They did mine for free. Of course it was still under the factory warranty. You don't have to tell them that

You can shearch the TSB's here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

Last edited by timtrible; 10-16-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Without knowing which fault and calibration is needed, it's hard to say..

However, all of the open TSBs for this truck (I found 06-8-2 and 05-19-12) that relate to PCM calibrations for transmission issues all include the following statement:

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

Steve

Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I understand that software updates will make it run better... But why did it start running bad in the first place?? All of the sudden at 40k it didn't know what gear it needed to be in. Between 1-2, 2-3, it would stick and then all of the sudden "clunk" into gear. I think this falls more in line of, here's a problem and fix it.. More than this will make it work better..

There were several other things that were wrong with my truck that my Ford dealer would not fix unless I payed them, even with an extended warranty..

Extended Warranties are only good if your transmission falls off the truck or your engine completely comes un-glued.. Adjustments are not covered.

This is probably common knowledge to everyone, but I felt like they were trying to rip me off..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Software Updates??!!