Go with the 5-sp manual -or- A/T trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Go with the 5-sp manual -or- A/T trans?

Hi,
I'm a new user and I've been checking out the forum. I currently drive a Ranger RegCab XLT and I'm just about to pull the trigger a purchase an F-150 with 4.2L V6, XL with some options (ie A/C) and want to keep purchase price low (just came out of a divorce). I would like to hear some thoughts/comments of whether to go with the 5-sp manual or the 4-sp automatic transmission.
My childlike enthusiasm is pushing me towards the manual, it also is a $1000+ lower cost. But is the A/T a "better" transmission, longer lasting or better gas mileage?

All comments appreciated.
Thanks
Lucas

Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Only way I would get a V6 is with a stick to at least be able to move with traffic. The 4.6L is too slow for me with an auto, and I can't imagine a V6 with it.

Here is an '05 I test drove, not to bad, but a real shame ford killed the 4.6L M5OD combo that kicks *** in the '97.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it's 4.2L/5-spd vs 4.6L/AT the real choice?

Hi,
Thanks adrianspeeder. I'm just a little bit confused, did you drive a 4.2L with 5-spd (pix show 5-spd) or a 4.6L w/ A/T. I'm pretty sure Ford only offers 5-spd w/ the 4.2L engine at least in '06 and '07.

Was the 4.6L V8 w/ A/T decent performing?

Ok, I've been window shopping some more... and thinking. I was thinking a new truck to get the full warranty but I did stumble on an '04 with very very low miles and it has the features and color I like. The price is competative with an '06 relatively speaking. It has the 4.6L V8 w/ A/T and I guess the question comes down to how sluggish is the 4.2L w/ A/T ? I don't do much towing and just normal loading but I do plan to use the truck for commuting both city and highway almost 50/50%.
Again thanks for your comments.
Lucas

Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I drove the above truck right before an identicle optioned 4.6L auto. Same gears, tires, both 4x2. The V8 was slower. Again I couldn't imagine a 4.2 automatic.

If you arn't stuck on the 04+ body style, and you really like a stick, I'd highly recommend the 4.6L M5OD combo of the past.

Dad's '97 kicks ***!

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Go with the 5-sp manual -or- A/T trans?