2001 F150 Manuel Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 Manuel Clutch

I have a 2001 F150 Sport with a V6 and a 5 speed manuel trans. My problem is this morning I went out and started my truck and when I put it into rev. the truck jumped and died. The clutch peddle went all the to the floorboard and towards the end there is a little pressure but not much. Fluid level is good. A couple of days ago the samething happened however the fluid level was really low, I topped it off and it was working fine until this morning. I know I might have to bleed the system. My question is how do I bleed the system?.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Remove the cap off the clutch master cylinder resevoir. Make sure you keep the level up so it doesn'rt allow air into the system. Have someone sittin the truck while you loosen the bleed screw. It is the upper pipe on the sive view of the tranny. It is to the left of the red plug and abovie the copper colored ring. The fluid enters the slave from the lower port, copper colored ring, and you bleed out the air from the top. Any way, install a clear hose on the bleed port and put the other end into a container that has brake fluid in it. About 1 inch. I use a clear coke bottle. Now have the second person pump the pedal and hold it down. While the pedal is down loosen the bleed screw to allow fluid/air to run into the clear hose. Then tighten the screw and release the pedal. You shouild see air bubbles, that is why a clear hose is used, in the hose. Repeat this till no bubbles are seen in the hose when the bleed screw is open and the fluid is flowing. It only takes a second once the screw is opened for the fluid to finish flowing. Do not over tighten the screw. Don't forget to keep an eye on the resevoir inside the engine compartment. if you let air into the system you will be at it for ever.

JMC

SIDE VIEW OF TRANNY

Last edited by JMC; 08-28-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Low fluid is a problem. It had to go somewhere, and that would be way of a leak...

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ford did that and it ended up being the slave cylinder going out. So i would try bleeding it again and if it happens again I would see about the slave cylinder. Also my clutch master went out as well so you might want to actually check it out before the slave cyl.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Manuel Clutch