Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Transmissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Feels like I hit a wall when in reverse... what gives?

I've had this happen to me two or three times in the last month or so... when backing up it feels like I hit something solid, truck just stops. Pull forward, get out, look around, nothing obvious. Get back in, back up again, no problem. Like I said, this has only happened a few times but it literally feels like I hit a wall or like it was slammed into Park while backing up.

Can anyone give me an explanation and/or suggestion? I'm concerned that I've got a serious tranny problem. I'm due for the 60K mile service and I don't recall if they flushed and changed the tranny fluid when I had it in for the 30K service or not.

'02 Screw, 5.4L, auto trans, 61k miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to GIJoeCam Send a message via Yahoo to GIJoeCam
Just a guess here: Parking brake retainer springs that broke. When the correct spring breaks, it *could* let the shoe drop and wedge itself in the drum where it normally rides.

Just a guess though.

-Joe

98 Explorer bone-stock (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

Photo Gallery Here

I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot with some spare time.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Thanks for the reply Joe. The fact that this has only happened a few time in the last month or so makes me question that it could be the retainer spring. I would think that would cause this to happen much more often. However, I will check that out anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Vehicle: 1996 Ford F-150
Send a message via Yahoo to buckdropper
My wifes explorer started doing the same thing some time ago. It would not move when put in reverse. I had to actually pull it backwards with my truck so i could get it faceing forward then it would move.... It was the tranny when i opened it up it was a total mess inside... i hope thats not ir but get it in now and have it checked... good luck.

"Sex is like a euchre card game if you don't have a good partner then you better have a good hand"

1996 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.0 Longbed REGULAR CAB, auto, western plow, 2007 ford five hundred awd cvt loaded limited... titanium green metallic, tan leather..
2002 rav4 4x4
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150
Unhappy Same here

Wow, I had done a search and found this Topic. The exact same thing happened to me this morning. I thought I had somehow backed into my kids' Basketball Pole. Shocked the heck out of me. I pulled a bit forward, got out and looked around. Nothing.... Put it in reverse and slowly backed out without a problem. I have no idea what it could be. I don't tow anything, and rarely carry alot of weight in the back. The only thing lately is that I did carry 1 cu yd of topsoil over the weekend, but not for long. Any ideas what to look for? I'm very concerned. I do not need a LARGE bill right now. I have just shy of 80K on the truck. 2001 Supercrew XLT.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM