Fluid Type in 4R70W

Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fluid Type in 4R70W

Does anybody know where I can find some irrefutable documentation that specifies the fluid type [U]required[U] for a 4R70W trans? Here's my dilemma;
'97 F150, 4.2L, 4R70W trans:
Tranny was rebuilt late Dec. '05; at this time it has less than 1000 miles on the rebuild; began to experience erratic shifting, sluggish starting from standing stop; seems to need to rev up to catch hold then it jumps a few times before beginning to go. I have taken it back to the trans shop 3 times but get no resolution... always saying it's an engine problem. Had engine analysis done twice & cat converters tested & all found to be without any problems. I asked the trans shop what kind of fluid they used after the repair. They said Dexron II. When I mentioned Mercon V being required he told me I was mistaken; they always use a "universal" fluid with never a problem.

I am about to flush the Dexron II & replace it with Mercon V. Before I do that I want to find the definitive answer to what is the correct fluid. I have seen countless opinions in these threads & other similar sites that flat out say it's Mercon V. Jerry Wroblewski, the Ford trans engineer, said Mercon V in his article "Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101", but it was directed to Thunderbirds & Cougars, not F150's. Jerry's article was done in '98 or '99. But I find a TSB 01-15-7, "Fluid Application Charts" dated 8/6/01 that clearly shows the required fluid for a 1997 F150 with 4R70W trans to be Mercon, part no. XT-2-QM. The TSB seems to contradict Jerry Wroblewski & popular opinion. Before I replace the Dexron II thats in the trans now with Mercon V I want to have some documentation to show the tranny shop if the Mercon V solves the start/shift problems. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ladies & Gents...

Old 04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Thumbs up Tranny Fluid

Clocker, If you look on the top of the dipstick it should say what type to use and I believe it is Mercon V. The Tranny shop should know this! so I think they know that they screwed up and do not want to admit to it. I just changed mine and the dealer told me where to look. If you are not sure go to the dealer and give them your vin number and they can tell you what Transmission you got and what fluid to use.Good Luck!:

Old 04-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
See yesterday's Dex 3/Merc V thread - https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=237998

Even with the lack of "irrefutible" documentation, Merc V might help.

However, what does the tranny shop say is wrong with the engine, ie, misfiring, etc?

Your dipstick will likely say Mercon/Dex 3. Dex 2 was a LOOOONG time ago.

Steve

Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Somewhere in here recently they said Ford issued something to change all fluid requirements in 98 and older 4r70w's to change to mercon V like the 99 up's tell you. The mercon V is better and may prolong life in yours. I could swear there was more talk about switching fluids lately, read a little lower to find the thread, like the last page or two.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Somewhere in here recently they said Ford issued something to change all fluid requirements in 98 and older 4r70w's to change to mercon V like the 99 up's tell you. ....

If Ford had changed it officially, they would have issued a TSB advising all dealers of the change.

So far, I have not seen any evidence that such a TSB has been issued.

Search goes on....

Steve

Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
what part of dipstick?

Pumper/Projects/Blue... thanks for your input...where on the dipstick would I find the fluid type stamped? The handle says MERCON in big yellow letters... I know for a fact the tranny is a 4r70w because I put it in after dropping the engine in. Was only then I discovered it was toast:o ... the tranny shop said the engine lacked power... two different independent shops could not find a thing wrong with the engine... no codes were ever set, no CEL... The TSB Ford issued had the Mercon V application starting at '98 for the F150/4r70w... '97 shows Mercon.

I was going to dump in some friction enhancer from O'reilly's but the guys there warned me against it. They said I had to get ALL the Dexron out & replace it with Mercon V... got me really concerned about my $1705 going in the tank. Thats why I am seeking hard evidence... thanks for your support...

By the way; the trans shop is American Transmissions

Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Tranny Fluid

It should be on top and the handle part should be yellow in color and will say mercon v.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Pumper419
It should be on top and the handle part should be yellow in color and will say mercon v.

You have an 01, he has a 97.

Go see the above referenced thread.

Steve

Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Project, Your right my mistake! I just assumed that most of the newer models would be the same if not close to it. I was just trying to give clocker some place to start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluid Type in 4R70W