Mysterious yellow plug...???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious yellow plug...???

Thismorning, I set out on the task of an oil change, and I decided it would'nt hurt to give the tranny some fresh fluid and a new filter. When I dropped the pan, after letting it drain out, I noticed a yellow plug rolling around the bottom in the fluid. I set it to the side and cleaned up the pan and checked the magnet for metal. I looked at the yellow plug and after pulling the filter, I could not find where the heck that thing came from. I checked every surface to find a hole where it might have popped out from. It is about a half inch in diameter and has a one inch stick coming from the back of it, and it has an o-ring. It started to get dark, and rain a little, and I couldnt find where it came from, so I slapped in the new filter, put the pan back on, and filled it up. Does anyone have any Idea what the heck this plug is, or where it came from? I test drove the truck for about 12 miles, and it runs great, and I ran the diagnostic, and everything is perfect. Did it even belong in the tranny? Please let me know, because I dont want a blown tranny.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
It is a factory dust plug it is in all the pans. No need to worry.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I second that. You're fine.

-Craig

Old 04-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Is that what it is? I thought it was a little spin top for the kiddies.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Wow. Big freaking relief. Thanks guys. Hey, in that picturce above, you can see the dark areas on the pan where there is a film of metalic dust. Is this normal? My magnet had a thin film of this and in the pan, and I just cleaned it all off. Normal?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by badchargedboss
Wow. Big freaking relief. Thanks guys. Hey, in that picturce above, you can see the dark areas on the pan where there is a film of metalic dust. Is this normal? My magnet had a thin film of this and in the pan, and I just cleaned it all off. Normal?
Yes, its normal. I had lots of it on my magnet.

Quick Reply: Mysterious yellow plug...???