Question about installing a tranny cooler

Old 10-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about installing a tranny cooler

I have a 2002 f150 5.4 6600# towing package.

I purchased the Troyer Performance Active Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit here and an autometer tranny temp guage. Now, a couple questions I had are: (I've been searching and haven't really found the answers yet) :

Which line coming into the stock auxillary tranny cooler is the line coming from the transmission?

Is there any tips for mounting the new cooler?
I'm planning on running it in conjunction with the stock one. I was planning on putting it before the stock cooler with the temp guage in line first to get the hottest temp reading. Does that sound good?

I need to have the tranny fluid changed, should I install the cooler before or after having the tranny flushed?

TIA for any help on this.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which Trans Line?

I spoke to Anita at Troyer a couple of days ago about the cooler.
They recommend their cooler as last in line going back to the trans.

So, if we knew which line exiting the radiator was the return line, my guess is the bottom one from the radiator, we could mount the cooler behind the bumper.
I had my truck up on a rack yesterday for O2 sensor replacement, and I looked for a cooler location nearer the trans. Behind the bumper is easiest.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I spoke to Anita at Troyer a couple of days ago about the cooler.
They recommend their cooler as last in line going back to the trans.

So, if we knew which line exiting the radiator was the return line, my guess is the bottom one from the radiator, we could mount the cooler behind the bumper.
I had my truck up on a rack yesterday for O2 sensor replacement, and I looked for a cooler location nearer the trans. Behind the bumper is easiest.

Yeah, I'm going for behind the bumper. All the easily accessable lines are right there, and I can work on it without having to get the truck (4x2) up in the air so far. I've got the temp guage in and seems to be "stable" so now I need to do the cooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about installing a tranny cooler