Flashing Overdrive Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Flashing Overdrive Light

I have a '97 F150 with 135k...Yesterday, I noticed the overdrive light flashing after driving appx. 5 miles of freeway speeds. After I shut the truck off, the light has not reappeared - but I have not driven on the freeway since. I also noticed the RPMs were jumping from about 2200-2700. I drive it in town most of the time and there is no slippage. I am bringing it to my mechanic tomorrow.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my diesel did that twice since i bought it..i just shut it off wait 10 sec or so re-start and everythings ok..but when my light flashes my speedometer dont work either but ots ok now...zap!

Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
flashing overdrive light

My wifes '03 windstar does the same thing. When going up a steep grade, I turn off the overdrive. After driving for a couple of miles, it starts to flash, I can't turn the overdrive off. I have to stop and turn the car off and then can turn it on and be on my way. I always assumed it was some safety precaution, just telling me to back off a little.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The code will stay in the computer's memory for about a month after the light stops flashing. There are about 50 things that could make the light flash and set a code. I don't know which one is causing it on your Windstar. Next time it happens you should consider getting the codes checked. Transmission codes need to be checked with a Ford specific scan tool. All dealers have them, only a few independants do.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:22 AM
It ended up being the Speed Sensor...Its all good now!

Quick Reply: Flashing Overdrive Light